Macomb Mountain - Has ANYone broke trail recently?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the caretakers house at Elk Lake it is about 2.1 miles of road hiking or skiing to the actual trailhead. The trail is well packed all the way to the lean-to and is skiable as well. From the lean-to there is a herd path that looked well packed heading up Macomb. I did not go up Macomb but continued to along the marked trail to Lillian Brook and attempted to reach Hough. This was on 2/20.

Don't miss the awesome ice sculpture at the lean to. There is a life sized woman sitting on the edge of the lean to holding a real flashlight. Some one with a lot of talent put some time into making this!!!

Thanks for the information. The snow sculpture was still there. We climbed on Saturday the 28th. It was a beautiful day.

I'm leading an ADK trip in to do Dix and Hough. Any idea if the trail is packed up to Dix? It sounds as though the trial over to Hough is broken.
We'll be staying at the first Lean-to and hiking on Saturday. We have a pretty small (4) but strong group. We're thinking that if we make it to Hough at a reasonable time we may continue on to S. Dix and Macomb making it a loop back to the lean-to.
Any thoughts on the plan? Are we biting off too much?

I did see in the summit log that a party of seven was going to attempt to climb Dix, Hough, East and South Dix and Macomb. I am not sure if they did it or not. They were out the same weekend I was. I can tell you that Macomb had a good base from the trail head at Elk Lake to the slide brook lean-to. From the lean-to on we used snowshoes. I imagine that the warm weather has loosened the trail. Hope this helps

Thanks for the information. Either way we'll have a great time and spend some time in the mountains with friends.