Madison & Adams 11/23/12 via Valley Way-Watson Path-Star Lake-Air Line trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi

Reaction score
Valley Way and Watson path uneventful. No real ice to speak of, no blowdowns, mud was frozen enough. Star Lake trail has some icy areas past the hut that can be worked through or around without traction aids. Air Line had a quite a few icy areas that could all be worked around but some required more thought than others when descending. Micro-Spikes would be helpful but there were long sections of clear trail between the icy sections. Suppose it will all change tonight anyway.
Beautiful day. It was downright warm in the woods, (T-shirt weather) and only cool above tree line due to the very brisk breeze, which I would estimate to be occasionally gusting up around 50-60 mph. Enough to make balance an issue at times.

Which group were you? I was up there with Roberta (Berner Babe) and Scott (Raven). We went up Airline and down Valley way. Maybe you were in the group that took our photo on Adams? They went down Star Lake Trail.

BTW, MWO shows a peak wind speed of 56.4 miles per hour, with 50 sustained around 1:30-2:30PM, while on Madison, with Scott and Roberta.

Tim

Yup, balance was certainly an issue at times, especially with new and heavier pack being used for the first time. The wind caught my sail once and I was sort of caught before I really crashed!

Tim, I was solo with a smallish brown dog. I took a couple from Ireland's picture on Adams. I may have passed you on my way up Adams on Star Lake while you were decending towards the hut?

Tim, I was solo with a smallish brown dog. I took a couple from Ireland's picture on Adams. I may have passed you on my way up Adams on Star Lake while you were decending towards the hut?

Hi Yogi.

We were probably near the summit of Madison while you were taking that picture on Adams. We had a conversation with the couple from Ireland at the hut after we descended Madison. they had just come off Adams. if you were heading up Star Lake, we probably missed you when coming down Gulfside to the hut. Great day for it yesterday!