Maine 4K trail stats

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
What I am looking for is info like the WMG provides about the trails (distance, elevation, book time). I have the AMC Maine Mtn Guide, but it doesn't break down the info about the trails quite like the WMG does. For most of the routes I am thinking about, you can get mileage and at least book time to the summit, but I'd like to be able to better estimate round trip book time, plus also have an idea of the elevation gain. Knowing how much elevation in a day makes my legs tired, this would be good for trying to plan out weekends in Maine with multiple hikes. I can get a rough idea with a topo map, but I'd like to get as accurate as possible.

Does anyone know of a website, guide, or gps files that would have more of this information?

Not Exactly What You Are Looking For

I have found the Every Trail website handy for my Maine hikes. Here is the main page for Maine:http://www.everytrail.com/guide/maine-4-000-foot-peak-list The topo maps are right there on the page. You can download trail information to your iphone.

Also, isn't the formula for book time 2 miles / hour + .5 hrs for every 1000 feet of ascent?

I hope this was, at least, marginally helpful. See you on the trails in Maine (10/14 for me as of the moment).

The newest Maine Mountain Guide 2013 is more detailed than the last 2006 and similar to the WMG with stats. More details than the last edition. If you don't have the newest edition see if that helps.

The newest Maine Mountain Guide 2013 is more detailed than the last 2006 and similar to the WMG with stats. More details than the last edition. If you don't have the newest edition see if that helps.

I suspect that I don't have the newest edition. I don't remember when I bought it, so that probably means before the 2013 edition would have come out. I might have to check that out then, thanks.

The newest edition does not have the same maps, it's missing the one from Saddleback to the Bigelows, so if you have the older edition, guard that map with your life.

The latest one I know of is the 10th edition put out in 2012. The suggested hikes at the end of the chapter says something like this:[rt 7.6 mi, 6 hr. 40 min.]

No elevation gain like the White Mountain version, which I noticed as well. It will give elevations in the chapter, but not total gain.

The latest one I know of is the 10th edition put out in 2012. The suggested hikes at the end of the chapter says something like this:[rt 7.6 mi, 6 hr. 40 min.]

No elevation gain like the White Mountain version, which I noticed as well. It will give elevations in the chapter, but not total gain.

Yes, but at least they used the standard book time formula of 2mph + 30min/1000ft gain (with the exception of a few trails in Baxter which they padded the time on). So with mileage and time, you can computer the elevation.

Sadly, as MichaelJ said, the 10th edition dropped the map covering the Saddlebacks through Sugarloaf. The MATC map sufficies if you don't have the AMC's 9th edition map.

Try The Mountain Wanderer. Steve Smith has a map that shows the Rangeley area peaks, made by the same company that does those glossy maps of the White Mountain notches. I haven’t seen it, but maybe it would have what you’re looking for.

Also, check Views From The Top trip reports and trail conditions. I copied lots of them back in the day to get my Hundred Highest info. There should be 4K info, too.

Dangit, Steve even showed me that map in the store and I went and forgot about it. Yes, it's by the Wilderness Map Company, and it's a nice map, essential, and a good choice, for the Maine 4k'er.

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I have the 9th edition at home and just picked up the 10th edition at lunch today. Can never have too much info on the trails when you aren't familiar with them.