Marcy to Gray herdpath

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting from there to here

I was there on Aug 27 and I found it quite difficult to get from Gray to Marcy. I got about 1/2 way with a full pack and I turned back, though I remember doing it with ease 10 years earlier. I found the herdpath just kinda petered out before you start to drop and I didn't feel like struggling thru the krummholz.

I have also done this traverse in the winter and found that it was even easier to do, but that was 9 years ago.

I am primarily a winter hiker so I was quite surprised with the response I got from the above people as the guide books published this as a route. As a result of the post I chose to hike the herd path from Lake Tear, honoring their request. While descending Marcy there was asboslutely no evidence of a trail from Marcy to Gray and I later learned why. The above responses quoted people like Pin Pin and Pete Hickey but I've got one better :) . When I returned to Marcy I had the great privilege of discussing the matter with Ranger legend, Pete Fish. He confirmed that indeed they don't want people going from Marcy to Gray as it damages the fagile alpine plants as stated in above responses, and commended us for not using the route in question. The Summit Steward said that she removed the cairns that lead to the herd path that once existed between Marcy and Gray to discourage its use. Soooooooooooooo as for me the matter is resolved.