Maryland Heights and Harpers Ferry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the forecast of “fall like” weather, we decided to venture out to one of our favorite hiking spots; Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. This area appeals to us for several reasons: the Appalachian Trail, the C & O Canal and the history surrounding the town of Harpers Ferry during the Civil War.

We hiked the steep trail to the summit of Maryland Heights where remnants of the old fort still stands. One can only imagine what life was like for the soldiers manning the batteries which occupied the summit.

After enjoying a snack and talking with fellow hikers we continued along the ridge and then descended to the cliffs that overlook the town. With the cool temperatures and sunny skies there were a lot of people sitting near the cliffs enjoying the view below.

We then proceeded down a herd path to Sandy Hook Road and then over the pedestrian bridge which spans the Potomac River. Once we arrived in town a stop at the local ice cream shop for some soft frozen custard seemed appropriate. :)

Knowing that Jibitz (aka. Mary Ellen; MEB) passed through here the first week of June we walked up the steep walkway along Potomac Street, and the many historic houses, to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Flipping through the thru hikers album we did in fact find Mary Ellen’s official picture.

Since it was still early we decided to hike thru the old campus of the former Storer College, which is now owned by the National Park Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storer_College

This blue path eventually meets up with the Appalachian Trail. Passing Jefferson Rock and then walking through the lower section of Harpers Ferry we once again crossed over the old railroad bridge (now used by pedestrians) and back into Maryland. We estimated the total miles for the day to be 7 miles.

Slideshow:http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/Nature/Harpers-Ferry-10210/14017581_KnNRK#1031268509_tYZTQ

Mike and Donna

One can only imagine what life was like for the soldiers manning the batteries which occupied the summit.

Better than it was for the soldiers who occupied the Town below, if you're familiar with Stonewall Jackson's capture of the Federal forces there, just before Antietam!

That is a great hike, and there are many others in that vicinity, as you note, including Loudun Heights on the Virginia side, with more Civil War reminders.

It is a shame I never made it to Harper's Ferry when I lived down there, looks like a perfect town to be/live....very historical! Nice pictures, and very cool view! I like the low, sweeping views just above water, those are my favorite. :)

grouseking

Nice one Donna. The icecream looks inviting. It's great you found that picture of MEB.

seeya
Petch

Those ice creams looked mighy delicious! Seeing your photos has brought back many memories when I passed thru Harpers Ferry....a place worth exploring for sure. Glad you had a beautiful day!

-MEB

Thanks all for taking the time to reply:

AMICUS We have explored many of the Civil War areas (Manassas, Antietam, South Mountain...) over the years and are always drawn back to Harper's Ferry.

PHIL Maybe one day you'll venture back to the area and have a chance to experience the town.

PETCH You'll never see us turn down a chance for a great ice cream!

MEB We're glad that we brought back memories of your AT hike. The volunteer at the ATC remembered you and mentioned that he just received your completion paperwork.

CHUGAC001 All the reasons you mentioned keep us coming back. We took a tubing trip with one of the local outfitters in August, which was great fun.

Donna:)

Last edited:
Nice pictures.

The trek up Maryland Heights is a nice one -- great boulder-y outlook over the town.

I like the interpretive signs along the way, too, in particular the one about how the entire hill was denuded of trees 170-80 years ago to feed the 50 large charcoal hearths on the hill.

Neat stuff...thanks for posting this!