Massachusetts hikers fined for hiking closed Katahdin trail.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
http://baxtertrails.blogspot.com/2012/05/roaring-brook-road-is-now-open-to.html#more

Park Ranger Mike Winslow checked the Abol Trail late last week and found conditions on the Tableland very soft and wet. These are exactly the early spring conditions that would lead to trail and vegetation damage if the trail were open to hiking traffic. Over the weekend, BSP Rangers issued citations to four hikers from Massachusetts who ignored the trail closed signs and hiked Katahdin. As much as I love hiking Katahdin, I don't think it's worth $200 for a day hike. Rangers will be regularly checking the trail and we will open Katahdin access trails as soon as conditions permit, in the meantime, we thank you for respecting our efforts to protect the fragile and rare resources on Katahdin.

BSP Rangers issued citations to four hikers from Massachusetts

Thank God they weren't from Maine. Worse yet, Millinocket ...

Attention ADK & NH4K Trail Police - hunt those boys down like the dogs they are and deny them the appropriate patches!:)

As an aside - if one is contemplating a cost/benefit analysis - it's possible that it would have cost them more than $200 for the cost of transportation, food and lodging if they returned when the trails were open. In no way am I advocating breaking the rules/laws - am just suggesting that the fine might not be much of a deterrent.

Last edited:
Sure is a lot of "fines" being levied in the mountains these days. At least this one is less up for debate.

Anyone know of fines issued for "illegal camping"? We did it one at the base of Owl's Head due to a party member taking ill and made it out the next morning. How would a ranger react to that?

Sure is a lot of "fines" being levied in the mountains these days. At least this one is less up for debate.

Anyone know of fines issued for "illegal camping"? We did it one at the base of Owl's Head due to a party member taking ill and made it out the next morning. How would a ranger react to that?
Cha-ching$$$

Brought to you by the NH Dept of Tourism (not really of course, but the effect is the same)

Ohhh... the hikers were FROM Massachusetts.

For a brief moment I was afraid of going for a local walk and winding up north of Millinocket. :p

How does one complete a maine grid like hiker ed did?I wonder if he did his april baxter peaks at the start of april and his may at the end of the month.Or can you get special permission during mud season?I do not see him sneaking around to get his 67 x 12.If it were not for the potential damage to the trails up in baxter,I might not mind paying 2oo bucks to avoid the summer and fall crowds there[think a conveyer belt].

no grid in maine

How does one complete a maine grid like hiker ed did?I wonder if he did his april baxter peaks at the start of april and his may at the end of the month.Or can you get special permission during mud season?I do not see him sneaking around to get his 67 x 12.If it were not for the potential damage to the trails up in baxter,I might not mind paying 2oo bucks to avoid the summer and fall crowds there[think a conveyer belt].

bsp closed in april, no n.brother, baxter, hamlin..

Though maybe from MA, could they have been not MA natives, with names like 10zing, 11zing, 12zing, 13zing....?? maybe from Tibet studying in MA..we need an update!! The full story should be known...

ahhh.. makes sense now..

The story I heard was you can camp the evening of March 31 and have all day April 1 to get out although no more people are allowed in

I didn't realized anyone had gridded maine.. anybody else?

They'll be fortunate if they're allowed back in the Park again.

Hiker Ed has NE67 x 12 x 2. His plate leaves off the x 12.

Tim
I got 1 left for round one and 13 left for round two of my maine grid.Hope to get up to that area this summer or sooner!I can imagine those Jan. and Feb. baxter hikes were a bear....Wonder if he did them solo?Amazing numbers.....Tim what was that number of stays hiker ed did at the spillover?Was it your quote where you talked about the guest book.....

Tim what was that number of stays hiker ed did at the spillover?Was it your quote where you talked about the guest book.....

This what you are referring to?

Week 1 of my vacation is being spent in Stratton at the Spillover Motel. ... When I checked in I asked if I could get the "Hiker Ed discount" and the woman rolled her eyes :rolleyes:

Tim

As far as I am aware, Ed applied and received special permission for his summit.

Brian

Rather than needless speculation, I asked the good man himself:

Hiker.Ed said:
THE PARK IS OPEN FOR THE WINTER SEASON THROUGH APRIL 1ST.

ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS HIKE BAXTER, HAMLIN, AND NORTH BROTHER
ON APRIL 1ST. WEATHER PERMITTING. AND, BE OUT OF THE PARK
THAT SAME DAY.

TOOK THREE TRIES ( AND 3 YEARS ) TO GET BAXTER & HAMLIN.

Tim