may be sticking a fork in Crocs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmon! they are not that much lighter than water shoes or sandals.
very rarely do i care what i look like, but those things are just silly looking.

I dunno, they are pretty light Mooks - I'm willing to bet they are. I carried my crocs on my day pressie traverse a couple of months - didn't even feel them!

I'm with you Carole. I think they are some of the most unattractive shoes ever created. I never understood the attraction...:confused:

I'm with both of you!! ...but ever since I got my purple pair (thanks Huiyeng!), I can't say they still aren't basically ugly but I do love the color - much nicer than the snot green - sorry gig and Ferris :D :D :p

I dunno, they are pretty light Mooks - I'm willing to bet they are. I carried my crocs on my day pressie traverse a couple of months - didn't even feel them!

cmon GG! i am pretty sure they are not much heavier than my ugly teva's that i carry. luckily im pretty so when i wear them nobody noticed how ugly my teva's are......

I experimented with a pair of light cheap water shoes which were very comfortable unless I actually stood up, in which case I could feel every stick and pebble digging into my feet (and tough to shake the grit out of the inside of the shoes).

I recently broke down and bought crocs for about $20 which I used for the first time on a backpack this past weekend. I only wore them for the late night bio break and breakfast, but they rate superior to the water shoes in my book. I agree that they are ugly as sin, but the chocolate brown that I found them in isn't a bad color.

I saw knockoff crocs for under $10 but could not find my size (plus I don't do justice to the colors they came in).

The medical version (I don't have the details in front of me) are extremely comfortable as camp shoes, decent canyoneers, certainly protective enough to leave on when you've got a multiple water crossings with relatively brief land intervals. I wore them almost all the way down a Grand Canyon side creek/canyon. A tiny bit lighter (if I'm recalling my research correctly) than Croc brand or the Payless or other copies. I like them a lot.

Truth be known they're still to heavy for most trips and I use those web poolside/shower slippers mostly. But no protection to the upper side/top at all from sharp river rocks, and the soles tear up after after a couple/few weeks so you do have to replace frequently; buy in bulk (cheap).

But I do like those medical crocs!

Totally off topic: can't edit in vbulletin

Sorry for the OT. I tried to correct my mis-spelling in the above post and my edit won't take. This has been happening to me in several forums over the last couple of days. I see an error message at the bottom of my browser "error in opening page". Safari on a Mac. I'm going to look into it, but I on impulse here I ask just in case it's a common problem.

I used to not wear them b/c I felt I looked like a pussy.

I used to not want them either for this same reason. Then I started to think, who cares? If I just wear them out camping or bring them along on a backpacking trip, I don't really care what I look like, because I'm not looking to be fashionable anyway. But I'll still never wear them outside of hiking/camping purposes. Just too weird-looking.

I think the company grew too fast, and that's why they are in trouble now.

But besides that, I love my Crocs -- when I backpack or when my feet are just tired and sore after a long hike. More than that, if I have to "work" a show and be on my feet all day on a hard floor, they're the best. Being a penny-pincher, though, I'm looking forward to finding them in my size at a lower price. Comfort first, looks last. In between comes value.

Bozo's Fave

I'm with you Carole. I think they are some of the most unattractive shoes ever created. I never understood the attraction...:confused:

I am with you 100%. I think every pair should come with facepaint and a clown nose so the wearer doesn't look quite so ridiculous. :D

I'd wear the nose & clown paint before I'd wear crocs! (Especially if it worked to get prime space at a shelter, hut, etc. ) I prefer the ugly Teva's

After a day of hiking & sweating, I'd look like Alice Cooper (with a hair cut & an eating disorder - gluttony) or Tammy Faye as a graying brunette! :eek::eek::eek: (a portait left in the car would elimiate parking lot crime too!

Last night, I needed to dry out a down sleeping bag I had just washed in the "common area" dryer at my condo. I couldn't find the tennis ball I usually toss in with it to help fluff the down feathers. What could I use as a substitute? Considered using a croc or two, but had second thoughts, as I didn't want to ruin them.

The joke? I locked myself out of my apartment and had to walk a mile to work at 8:40 PM to get my spare keys out of my desk. I was glad this had been one night I hadn't changed into my jammies early. :D

They attracted a lot of followers because they were different, and had a huge choice of colors, but they kept many because they were also comfortable. I saw some of their new models at Kittery Trading Post's "Paddle Sports" show in Durham last weekend and tried on a pair that had a cloth cover over the sole that made them more comfortable in bare feet, and given that they were a little dressy, I could wear them to work at times my other Crocks wouldn't work in. A look at their web site shows an incredible number of new designs, but I bet most won't be carried by long distance hikers. :p