Moat Mountain Sunrise...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Saturday morning I kept watching the skies. The forecast was for clearing, but it was slower than expected. It was a tough call between shooting more stream and closeup shots, or to go on a planned overnight to one of three chosen peaks. When my co-worker Brett showed up ready to hike, the decision was made on North Moat.

The view from north moat to washington over attitash and iron is one not to be missed...so we all the more eager by the fact that once the climb began, skies cleared quickly.

With heavy packs, and a steep climb past the two mile mark...going was slow and steady. We made it to the first ledges by about 4PM, and the view was spectacular right up to the wildcats. We couldn't see over far enough to know if washington was out yet.

By about 515 we were on the summit, and our fears were realized. The big mountain was still socked it...as forecast, but we were hopeful. Another fear was also realized though...it was REALLY windy. Sunset was rather lack luster, as we went past north moat in search of a campsite that was both on bare ledge, and sheltered. Easy enough...

Until the wind shifted around 9PM...wow was it a loud night with the wind whipping and the tent bowing to it's every command. Around midnight, I checked the Observatory's observations. Only blowing 28kts up there (and free of fog)...it had to be stronger here. Fortunately, the winds died off about an hour later to a sleepable volume.

I unzipped the tent at 6AM to a beautiful glow on the eastern horizon. I raced up to the summit, but found washington hiding again.

4004676950_ee055e1f89.jpg

4003914481_87dfe7b68a.jpg

Chocorua was happy to play second fiddle, as a sun piller rose above the sunrise. A beautiful morning on the peaks!

4004623398_854f203ca5_o.jpg

Two other neat shots...
North Conway before Daybreak...
4003914425_9f1bc19fb5_o.jpg

And the snow showers over the higher peaks catching some early light! Very cool colors...
4003914383_ea56f7a4b5.jpg

Wow!

Your shot of Chocorua as the rising sun starts revealing the colors on it is breathtaking! Thank you for enduring the wind and temps overnight to get that early morning shot, and especially for sharing it! Wow!

Jim, I admire your steadfastness. And I'm thankful that you (and others) are willing to do the grunt work to get these types of photos, and then share the fruits of your labor with other folks. Kudos to you for a job well done!

Jim, I admire your steadfastness. And I'm thankful that you (and others) are willing to do the grunt work to get these types of photos, and then share the fruits of your labor with other folks. Kudos to you for a job well done!

Thanks! It's a labor of love, hardly work! The only 'grunt' part of it is slogging up the tripod! It's a joy to see a sunrise from a summit...and better to share the experience with those who appreciate it!

Last edited:
Just spectacular. I was a couple ridges over, and the clouds and snow sat between you and I. I had nowhere near this type of experience. Just stunning!
I was in something probably similar to what you shot over Carter Dome - thin bottom edges of clouds glowing in the sunrise light.
Great pics and neat ridgetop night experience!

Something special with technique here, getting both brighter sky and dimmer details in the foreground, or was the light just right?
North Conway before Daybreak...
4003914425_9f1bc19fb5_o.jpg

Something special with technique here, getting both brighter sky and dimmer details in the foreground, or was the light just right?

Definately not going to get this right out of the camera. I use a range of graduated neutral density filters to hold back the sky and allow the foreground detail to balance out. Once the filters are on...yup...straight from the camera!

Here's a description...though I use a brand called hitech...
http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

Great shots as always, Jim! Love that sunrise... too bad Washington wouldn't cooperate! With the snow on the summits off and on over the last few weeks, it was a shame they were in the clouds just about every day. :(

Chocorua did very well as a substitute, though! :)

Those shots are gorgeous! I love seeing the sunrise from a mountaintop! Unfortunately, I can only take such good pictures with my mind! :D