Molly Stark Mt via The Long Trail 2/3/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinovampire

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: The Long Trail North from the Ap Gap to Molly Stark's Balcony was a "River of Ice." There were light amounts (less than an inch) of snow on the trail in places, but mostly just ice. Due to weak-, steep-ice and running water; one short 15-foot section of the trail on the way to the Balcony was impassable today. It could not safely been done without crampons and ice axe. Also, several (new) trees are down on the trail. Until conditions change, expect difficult travel and use traction.

Despite (or maybe because) of the ice, this is one of my favorite short hikes in Vermont. Today was a perfect, blue-sky day and we had an incredible walk. I've probably hiked this piece of the trail 50+ times over the past 15-years, and I still love it. Nice views and solitude (except for our group) make this route a real gem.

Special Equipment Required: Microspikes or other similar traction devices were required, and crampons are highly recommended. Snowshoes were not needed on this day.

Comments:

a bit icy.jpg

Name: Tommy/vinovampire!

E-mail address: [email protected]