Monodnock - 11/13 Pls reply here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done this hike before exactly once. 99.9% of my non ADK and Catskill trips to NE has been peakbagging 4k's.
I listed this trip as a social event and get together hike.
We already have 17 people and I suspect we'll get more. Thats 2 groups right now. I'm sure the interest levels will cover easy to harder trips. If I were coming in the evening before, and staying after Harlow's, I'd want to do a long route. With almost 6 hours of total driving, it will probably be a shorter or moderate trip for the 2 or 3 of us coming in from Albany.

My wife and I usually do a trip up Monadnock a couple of times in November to get the legs in shape for backpacking season,and we camp there each time.
We're gonna enjoy having all this company on our "warm up" hike! :D

2 Questions

1. Does anyone have any idea what the conditions are going to be. It looks like saturday is going to be a cold day, im guessing 20-something degrees on the summit. Will there be ice/snow up there. Crampons needed?

2. What is meant by "main" parking lot. Do you mean the one near the headquarters/visitor center?

We are very much looking forward to meeting all of you in person.

-percious

Temp was 65 yesterday and there was no snow on top this morning. Might be rain/snow showers Friday, and clearing or flurries on Sat(conflicting forecasts) temps look to be in the 20's-30's. I wouldn't think crampons would be needed unless the forecast changes. Main parking is at the visitors center where the campground is located.

Mountainhound said:
just thought i would update since it is snowing right now. started about a half hour ago.

Snow squalls RIGHT NOW here in Leominster. And Wachusett starts making snow tonite!!

Oh god, OH GOD!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!! :p ;) :D :)

Mountainhound,
Checked out the pic and then realized your daughter is in the same class as mine. Small world.

-brianW

Two More

My daughter Molly and I plan to join you all.

We'll be camping with you Friday night and heading back to the NH Seacoast after the hike on Saturday.

Save us a nice, warm tent site please!

cb

ChrisB and any others bringing kids, what are their ages? I have 17 and 13 yr old sons who are interested. Is the camping going to be fairly quiet or more of a party?

While camping,we have the option of having a nice fire at the campsite,or if the weather is really cold,or windy,we can use the hikers cabin to gather in,and use the fireplace.

If you want to liven up the campsite(or cabin) we can do "story time". Whoever is holding the lightstick tells their scariest,or funniest trail experience,then passes the light on...

I had planned to attend as well, but it looks like that's going to be pre-empted. I'll catch up with everyone soon I hope!

Just a heads up for anyone coming in Friday, from weather.com:

THE FIRST WIDESPREAD WINTER WEATHER EVENT APPEARS LIKELY FOR INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND FRIDAY OR FRIDAY EVENING... POSSIBLY FOLLOWED BY MINOR COASTAL FLOODING THIS WEEKEND ALONG THE EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS COAST.

THIS MORNINGS RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES AT BOSTON AND HARTFORD MAY BE AN OMEN FOR THE ARRIVAL OF WINTER WEATHER LATE THIS WEEK.

LIGHT AMOUNTS OF SNOW OR ICE MAY MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT EARLY FRIDAY MORNING IN PARTS OF WESTERN AND NORTH CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS OR IN SOUTH CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE.

OF MORE CONCERN IS THE POSSIBLE DEVELOPMENT OF A COASTAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THAT COULD BRING MORE SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS OF SNOW OR ICE TO THE WORCESTER HILLS REGION... THE MERRIMACK VALLEY OR SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE.

THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM STILL COULD PASS OUT TO SEA WITH ONLY RAIN BUT ODDS ARE INCREASING FOR WINTERY ELEMENTS AND SLIPPERY SURFACES IN PARTS OF THE AREA FRIDAY... ESPECIALLY NORTH OF THE MASS TURNPIKE....

here's the latest from NWS for the Monadnock Region
Friday night. Snow. Freezing rain and sleet. Moderate snow accumulations possible. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday. Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow and light freezing rain early in the morning. Then becoming partly sunny by afternoon. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Saturday night. Mostly clear. Lows around 20.

Sunday. Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 40s.

My guess would be snow at that elevation.
Mrs KD and I will be there. Plenty of low elevation trails if things get too wild.
Just spoke to staff at Monadnock. The road into the campsites may be closed,depending on the weather. I am bringing a sled to haul gear just in case.You might want to be prepared to walk your gear into the campsite(>1/4 mile)
Hikers Cabin is sounding good for Sat night gathering!

The local TV weatherman are saying mainly snow for SW NH and guessing at 2-3"+\-, ending early Sat.