Monodnock - 11/13 Pls reply here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on being there Saturday morning for the hike and post hike munchies but not to stay over. It's a shorter commute than my usual one :)

Any routes/teams been formed yet?

Bob

Kiasticuticus...

supposedly means "Skinhead". I suspect that Bald Rock was so named by the Cambridge/Boston intellectuals of Thoreau and Emerson's time who admired and frequented the Halfway House and Monadnock (and who would, of course, have known Greek).

I've considered making it my BBS handle, but no one (including myself) would be quite sure how to pronounce it.

It's looking like we could have some decent accumulation on Monadnock in time for the hike. As our probable route includes one of the backcountry ski tours in Dave Goodman's book, I'm planning on bringing my rock skis just in case. More time for after-hike events!

HikerBob, Poison Ivy: I'm with you guys in the slow hikers group! I'll be with a friend who's a serious mountaineer, but she hasn't done anything in quite a few years -- so I've already warned her about our speeds! :D We still on for meeting at 9ish at the ranger building?

I've been corresponding with Mark 151 about the trip and he's been terrific. I told him and 2 to 4 of us were planning on driving in from Albany on Saturday morning. The only problem is the weather. Its 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hour drive in good weather. If the drive looks dicey, we will not be coming.

I really want to do this and meet a bunch of cyber pals, but as experience tells me, its better to be safe on the driving end of things. I love to hike in the snow and ice, but don't want to make it a dangerous trip over early in the morning.
If we have to bag it, do we have a couple of others who might be willing to sort thing out in the parking lot, and someone else who might be willing to let Harlow's know the number ( I estimate 18 to 20) and the time the gang might show up there?

I'm still hoping to get in on the fun but we may not know until Saturday morning.

Thanks,

PB

Another weather update(I'm a weather freak in case you didn't guess). Models show that the storm is trending to the south, heaviest precip rte 2 and south. In reality, this means that tomorrow, the forecast will be completely different!
At the moment, I have my lower left leg on ice wrapped in an ace bandage after twisting it hitting a rock hidden under the leaves while running in the woods. I'll let you know tomorrow if I will attend, and will be able to handle the Harlow's arrangements.

Geese Quietman -- you're in the same condition I left you in after the last time we hiked :eek:

Anyway, as I told Peakbagr, I can handle organizing the hike if need be, but someone else will need to coordinate the after-hike stuff, as I was planning on maybe having aquick bite to eat and heading right home.

The only thing that'll stop ME from coming is ice. So, hopefully one of the other 3 locals that I know will be able to help out.

Mark

I just spoke to the 2 other folks who were joining me for the drive over tomorrow morning. Both said that they had seen the morning weather forecast and don't want to risk the drive over. I just jumped on the NWS and looked at the stormtrack.
The problem is that the track of the bad weather is directly in a line that we'd be travelling from Albany.
We'd be on the road at 5am and probably following the poorer weather all the way there. If there's snow or freezing rain, it would be before the plows are out on a Saturday morning.
As much as it kills me to say it, looks like the Albany contingent is wimping out.
We're really sorry it couldn't work out for us. It would be great if a couple of others could step up and help organize the trips from the parking lot, and someone contact Harlows to let them know 15-20 folks would be showing up afterward. Maybe some could post a trip report and pix.

Alan

I'm planning on coming despite (actully beause of) the snow. I can lead the group up from the parking lot, but can't organize the other activities. Also, if it ends up being freezing rain, I also won't go. As this is apparently a pretty experienced group, I'm sure things can go self-guided anyway. I know at least a couple other locals are showing up as well.

My wife and I will be there,and I'll be happy to help with setting up hiking.
Peakbagr,the forecast looks like most of the weather will be passed by Sat AM. You might want to call it tommorow morning,depending on what you wake up to.
I would like to suggest moving the start to 10AM so people aren't pushing it on bad roads. This will give the overnighters a chance to set up before hiking also. How does everyone feel about this?
Campers,don't forget the firewood the good stories!
See you there! :D

Moving the starting time to 10 a.m. sounds like a great idea -- it'll give the plows/sanders that much more time to get out on Route 2. I'm still planning on going unless it's just absolutely impassable. The cynic in me says that weather forecasters are playing a bit of their perennial chicken little, particularly since would be the first winter storm of any significance of the season.

I'd be happy to call Harlow's. Should I tell them about 15-20 could be there?

10AM sounds good

A one hour delay, given the weather, is an excellent suggestion. I'll vote for that.

I can lead, if there's the need, though I might take a peculiar route in my attempt to "red-line" my map of Monadnock trails.

Looks like we're pretty set on alternates, so I hope no one cancels thier plans for lack of concrete plans. I'll adjust to whatever time the majority wants.

Mark

Barring the unforseen I'll be there no matter what the weather forecast. I'll decide the day based on conditions at the start. The 10am start also means even more of a lie in :)

I take it the Ranger Station gathering point is at the end of Poole Road?

Bob

I'm local enough (50 minutes or so away). Unless the road conditions are very bad/icy, I'll be there. I've hiked on Monadnock only twice, but I'd be glad to pitch in to provide whatever help is needed.

Is the move of start time from 9 to 10 definite?

Directions to...
Monadnock State Park
Route 124
Jaffrey, NH 03452
Phone: 603-532-8862

Route I-93 & I-95 are the gateway highways to New Hampshire.

From I-93 (Southbound):
Take I-89 north to Exit 5 onto Route 202/9 follow Route 202 to Route 124 then follow signs to Monadnock State Park

From I-93 (Northbound):
Take Route 101 west to Route 202 towards Jaffrey and then Route 124. Follow signs to Monadnock State Park.

From I-95:
Take Route 101 west to Route 202 towards Jaffrey and then Route 124. Follow signs to Monadnock State Park.

From I-91:
Take Exit 28A, follow MA Route 10 to NH Route 119. Take Route 202 and follow signs to Monadnock State Park.

Concord, NH (1 hour, 15 minutes)
Boston, MA (1 hour, 45 minutes)
Springfield, MA (1 hour, 45 minutes)

Hiker Bob,I usually drive to Monadnock on autopilot,so I'm not sure of the road names,but it's pretty clearly marked.

If anyone is running a little late,leave a message at the park phone number and I will check with then before we hit the trail.
Seems that most are in agreement about a 10AM start,so lets make it official.
It's snowing pretty good just outside Boston right now...I am soooooo psyched!!! :D

As of 1 PM here in Greenville, in the Monadnock Region, it's snowing with increasing intensity. Gotta love it!

As of 6pm and 8 miles south of Monadnock, very light snow with only :( about 1/4 of an inch on the ground.

Kiasticuticus is inscribed on a "stone" which resembles an animal monster of Greek Legend and as Bob mentioned means "skinhead". Bald Rock was named because it was the only bare rock area on Monadnock before the forest fires (early 1800's)

Lost Farm Trail sounds like a good choice, one of the few I have never been on. Usally hit Cliffwalk from the Toll Rd.

I'll try to get there as close to 9 as possible incase someone missed the time change.

Last edited:
Yup -- the snow is still coming down in Leominster, but it looks like Conneticut got the jackpot. I hope Peakbagr and the other Albany folks end up coming, this thing really isn't going to do very much, although I hope it sets the stage for the rest of the winter. I'll be leaving the rock skis at home tomorrow. :mad: