Moosilauke conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
I'm heading over very early tomorrow morning with a group, to hike the Kinsmans and have seen some recent trail conditions on that. We are planning on hitting Moosilauke on the way back on Sunday and I havn't noticed any recent reports on any of the trail from there. Anyone have a recent update on conditions, prefered/needed traction? Leaning towards Benton or Beaver Brook atm.
Thanks!

I'm heading over very early tomorrow morning with a group, to hike the Kinsmans and have seen some recent trail conditions on that. We are planning on hitting Moosilauke on the way back on Sunday and I havn't noticed any recent reports on any of the trail from there. Anyone have a recent update on conditions, prefered/needed traction? Leaning towards Benton or Beaver Brook atm.
Thanks!

I've only hiked Moosilauke once and it was in the middle of the summer, but I remember thinking how I'd never attempt the Beaver Brook trail in the winter without bringing crampons because of the numerous steep stones (some more stair-like than others) that one has to climb so often.

After searching NETC, it seems a few folks have had success w/o crampons - but I'd still bring em.

Last edited:
Benton doesn't see much winter use - and the gate is now permanently locked on the road since Irene...so there is ~ a three mile road walk. Its a great trail but you may be breaking the whole way.

Check out www.newenglandtrailconditions.com for updates :)

Here's one from last weekend
http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=7728

Glencliff Trail almost always sees winter use, and it's not much extra hiking to do an out and back of South Peak, too, which has a great view.

You will probably want crampons for above treeline - the Moose is often total boilerplate on top because the snow just blows off.

Last edited:
Benton doesn't see much winter use - and the gate is now permanently locked on the road since Irene...so there is ~ a three mile road walk. Its a great trail but you may be breaking the whole way.

Check out www.newenglandtrailconditions.com for updates :)

Here's one from last weekend
http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=7728

Glencliff Trail almost always sees winter use, and it's not much extra hiking to do an out and back of South Peak, too, which has a great view.

You will probably want crampons for above treeline - the Moose is often total boilerplate on top because the snow just blows off.

Ive done the Beaver brook trail a few times for winter ascents, crampons are a must, forget micro-spikes, the trail is steep and can be icey as @#$%$#, once above the steep cascade section, its a easy hike along the meandering ridge and the last section that is very exposed can be followed easy in bad conditions imo.