More $75 tickets in WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may be causing undue alarm by suggesting a $75 parking ticket may be entered in as a criminal complaint of "theft of services".

I used the winter lot a few months ago when I went to the Sugarloaf area.
Mostly snowmobilers there and a few CC skiers and hikers, no evidence of having to pay there.

I equate those that parked near the gate in a no parking zone to those you see at shopping malls parking in the fire lane because they are just better than the rest of us and can't be bothered to follow the rules. Don't see the need for lenient fines, my only thing is to make sure the signage is there so people will know the risk they are taking when parking illegally.

Last edited:
I think you may be causing undue alarm by suggesting a $75 parking ticket may be entered in as a criminal complaint of "theft of services".

I used the winter lot a few months ago when I went to the Sugarloaf area.
Mostly snowmobilers there and a few CC skiers and hikers, no evidence of having to pay there.

I equate those that parked near the gate in a no parking zone to those you see at shopping malls parking in the fire lane because they are just better than the rest of us and can't be bothered to follow the rules. Don't see the need for lenient fines, my only thing is to make sure the signage is there so people will know the risk they are taking when parking illegally.

There should also be signage indicating the location of the winter lot. I can't remember if there is something like that there, but without it a lot of folks could arrive there and not have the slightest idea what to do.

The Central Violations Bureau is a national clearing house to pay fines. As Boris said "It is Mr. Big"

I plan on fighting back. I am going to get one of those little parking pass stickers and I will show them who is boss. They won't fool with me!!

It is best to fight every ticket. Even a parking ticket. There is a very strong chance the Officer will not show up because no one is paying OT anywhere, and sitting in court for a ticket is a waste of an officers time.

Believe me, they count on the honest working stiff to just pay up and move on. Fight the system, especially if insurance points are involved. :)

It is best to fight every ticket. Even a parking ticket. There is a very strong chance the Officer will not show up because no one is paying OT anywhere, and sitting in court for a ticket is a waste of an officers time.

Believe me, they count on the honest working stiff to just pay up and move on. Fight the system, especially if insurance points are involved. :)

When I got my parking ticket ($35 + $25 handling charge) I was 25 minutes from my house in Sumter National Forest, SC. i planned on fighting but the court house was a 2.5 hour drive and if you lose they may add additional court fees. The cost for gas and my time was worth more than the $60. Also the officer that gave me it said I was getting a break it could be $75 + the 25.

I was a bit peed many because the "pay here" sign was only 3 feet off the ground and when I drove in obstructed by a truck. I took pictures and sent them in to the ranger station hoping they will place the sign in a better position.

There should also be signage indicating the location of the winter lot. I can't remember if there is something like that there, but without it a lot of folks could arrive there and not have the slightest idea what to do.

The lot is across the street and East 100 yards or so. If you can't see it you're not making any attempt to look.

When I see a no parking sign it tends to tell me that I shouldn't park there and look elsewhere. If I'm going there to take a long walk (aka a hike) I really shouldn't mind walking a bit further from the car.

The lot is across the street and East 100 yards or so. If you can't see it you're not making any attempt to look.

When I see a no parking sign it tends to tell me that I shouldn't park there and look elsewhere. If I'm going there to take a long walk (aka a hike) I really shouldn't mind walking a bit further from the car.

If you came from Route 3, you would not have passed any place to park and might assume there wasn't one. I agree that the walk shouldn't put people off. They could use the parking ticket fees to buy a sign or two indicating where parking is available. If they can afford to put up $800 worth of signs at every road construction site on 93 (TARP fund bragging boards) they can afford to let people know about the winter lot.

Don't assume everyone is lazy or a scofflaw. Some days I have a monumental battle to get my kids in the car to go on a trip and once we're there, we're going hiking (except for dangerous conditions of course.) I can easily picture any other dad (or mom) in this boat.

Tim

Moderator Note
The ethics or justification for fighting parking tickets in general is not appropriate for this discussion. Please drop that. Thanks.

The lot is across the street and East 100 yards or so . If you can't see it you're not making any attempt to look.

AND around a bend and therefore out of sight. AND people who read this website generally know what is going on but many quite frankly don't. AND yes a no parking sign should be respected but when others are parked there and you're not sure what to do you sometimes follow the leader. AND it would cost very little to place a sign that gives instructions on where to find the parking lot. AND that being done there would be no excuse.

AND it would cost very little to place a sign that gives instructions on where to find the parking lot. AND that being done there would be no excuse.

I was there yesterday and noticed there are several signs providing direction to the parking lot. They are mounted on the same poles as the "No Parking" signs. I would imagine if the individual doesn't see the "No Parking" sign he probably won't see the "Parking" sign either. :rolleyes:

I was there yesterday and noticed there are several signs providing direction to the parking lot. They are mounted on the same poles as the "No Parking" signs. I would imagine if the individual doesn't see the "No Parking" sign he probably won't see the "Parking" sign either. :rolleyes:

I was last there in February and when I walked through it from the winter lot it was dark. It was also dark when I returned for the car and I was not looking for nor did I notice the signs, so I had no idea if it was clearly marked. But since the parking area is clearly indicated then I don't think there is much more to say about it except guilty as charged.

I was last there in February and when I walked through it from the winter lot it was dark. It was also dark when I returned for the car and I was not looking for nor did I notice the signs, so I had no idea if it was clearly marked. But since the parking area is clearly indicated then I don't think there is much more to say about it except guilty as charged.

The "Parking" signs are visible from the road if approaching from east or west while still on the road and will be illuminated by headlights if approaching in darkness. I approached and left in darkness yesterday and had no difficulty seeing the things.

I was going to comment on the fact they are not bilingual but that would be a separate discussion.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you actually take the trouble to read my original note, it was not parking in the no parking zone but rather parking in a fee area without paying that was rumored to be theft of services. You can read the ticket (if you get one) to see what the charge is, until then you can't be sure.

If you read the FS guidelines for fee areas, there are only about half a dozen spots in the WMNF that qualify - and if you read the WMNF page on their new fee proposal you will see that implementation has been delayed until 2011 perhaps because if these fees are ever reviewed most of them will go away. There is a link to the fee review board on their web page, but if you click on it you get the wrong board!

It appears that the WMNF is using the threat of excessive fines to coerce people into buying an annual pass - that way it won't matter if most fees are actually removed. Many states have had their fees scaled back or removed after complaints from their Congressional delegation - it's a shame that NH's can't be bothered.