More Efficient to Hike or X-C Ski?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One testimonial: I was on an AMC trip to the Captain. It was a group of skiers and hikers. The skiers swithched to snowshoes after the apprach on Sawyer Pond trail from the Kanc. On the return trip, when we got down to the trail, the leader said, "let the skiers go first because they are faster." All the skiers took off. I was in 8 point crampons for traction on hard pack trail. I walked along and sequentially caught up to and briefly talked with each skier before passing them. When I caught up to the first skier, I was following right behind her at about 3.5 mph pace. At the final (big) river crossing I continued accoss while she removed her skis for the crossing.....antd that's how I met Sue Johnston.

I think that I might have been on x-c skis for this trip; can you remind me with the date?

I’ve scarcely done either snowshoeing or cross-country skiing, but I remember reading a story in ‘‘Forest & Crag’’ in which some snowshoeing AMCers beat (finished ahead of) some cross-country skiing ADKers on a climb of Mount Marcy.

When skiing, conditions have a tremendous effect. On a groomed track, with no pack, I've skied 50km in 3.5 hours. I couldn't run that distance in that time. Then, there is the Canadian Ski Marathon. Ski 50 MILES with a full pack, set up camp, sleep, wake up, re-pack your pack, and ski another 50 MILES. This trail is somewhat groomed. There is no way I could hike 100 miles in 2 days, especially with a full pack. (yes, some can, but not me)

The efficiencies in the skiing come from the glide. There is really no equivalent in snowshoeing. When you glide, you're getting the most out of the energy used to move you forward.

Technique is very important. It's my trick in races that let me do better than people who are in better shape than I. I simply work at moving faster with less energy.

But conditions really dictate things on a hike. I've had some hike-ski trips where I saved hours by skiing, and some when I would have been better off without the skis.

Skiis and sleds..... the perfect union

If you are going out and back and the return is downhill as it usually is, that's a free ride,..... almost like glisading down a chunck of vertical drop on a trail.

So skiing wins hand down

If I still had some stability in my knees I would definately ski in on the roads and approaches.

We tow sleds so thats an additional mechanical advantage which we BMTs are all for .

Many times on winter hikes I have wished I could glide out the last few miles when it just a deathmarch back to the car.
Then hooray I learned to ski last year and now get to enjoy that gliding. :) It is worth skating or herringboning up hills to get the free ride down the other side.
Taking the entire hike into account though sometimes I wonder if skiing vs. hiking work out the same. I have done a couple of BC ski tours that were fast when moving but stopping to futz with skins, wax, bindings, etc. can eat up time.
I am a fast hiker, partly because I do not stop much, and like to keep a good pace all day, so some tours might have been faster if I had hiked.
However, skiing is such a workout and gliding is such pleasure that I am never sorry I did not hike it purely to do it in a faster time.