More ramblings from the 1936 AMC Guidebook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
More ramblings from the AMC Guidebook, aka What I'm doing on a Day I'd Rather be Hiking.
I decided to go back over some of the sections I merely perused earlier and pulled out some interesting info. The section covered in this is the Carter-Moriah Range & Wild River Region in the 1936 book. It comprised of 23 pages. Its modern-day counterpart, the 28th Edition by comparison covers 55 pages.
Here's some neat stuff.
p. 103-Rattle River Trail-"has now been spotted, though poorly cleared,to the summit of Shelburne Moriah since 1933.When finished, planned early 1936, it will connect with the Kenduskeag Trail near the top of Shelburne Moriah and with a projected trail from the Wild River road via Bull Brook."

p.104-Shelburne Trail-"leaves highway (Rt 2) 100 yards E of Shelburne Road. A "No Trespass"sign is not meant for bona fide trampers. Key to gate obtained at Post Office enabling driver a further .6 mile"

p.106-Moriah Brook Trail-"at last of 8 crossings of Moriah Brook completed by a bridge. This bridge is W of Moriah Gorge.", which it relates, requires exploration off trail.

p. 108-North Carter Trail-"leaves Imp Trail 1 m. S of its mid point near ruined lumber camp."

p. 112-Wildcat Ridge Trail-section of Mount Wildcat from Carter Notch described as "rough in spots, and although disagreeably wet at times,water cannot be depended on."

p. 123-Farwell Mt. Trail- " ascends Farwell Mt starting from old shook mill on Pleasant River Rd., S of W. Bethel following logging roads 2mi., then going NE to summit, 2.2 m. from mill" Anybody know what a shook mill is?

Other neat stuff:
p. 110-Aqueduct Path-"starts rear of Glen House, travelling N, then E,.25 m to Aqueduct, at .75m crosses Go-Back Ski Trail just above dam, then joins 19 Mile Trail. When descending Carter Notch not readily noticed, bear in mind .6m below Carter Dome junction."

p.118- Highwater Trail- constructed "opposite Evans Brook bridge at Hastings opening to Wild River Trail above Spider Camp....reliable crossings by means of cable-car at Hastings and suspension bridge at Spider Camp, 2.8m SW of the end of Wild River Road." Footnote reads:"reported sping of 1936 cable at Hastings down, inquire of WMNF before planning to cross during high water."

1936 approved established summer hiking trails for winter skiing:
Aqueduct Path, Carter Dome Trail, Lost Pond Trail, 19 Mile Brook Trail, and East Branch Trail.

1936 trails for skiing:
Go-Back Trail-all classes, ascent 1.5 hours, descent 1 hour. 2.2 mile length, 800 ft. vertical

Hopper Trail-intermediate to expert, 1.2 mile, 800ft vertical

Katzensteig Ski Trail-experts only, ascent 2 hours, descent 15 minutes (nice!)
1.3 miles, 1640ft. vertical

Wildcat Col Ski Trail- experts only, ascent 1 hour, descent 20 minutes. 1.9 miles, 1580 ft vertical

Pinkham Notch Ski Trail-"blazed when necessary" access to other ski trails, only 400ft vertical

Wildcat Summit E Trail-experts only, average slope 15 degrees. 1.5 mile, 1900ft vertical. Describes "cabin in sheltered depression just beyond upper end of trail on the S side of the ridge."

If you wanted to ski it notes you can "park at the Pinkham Notch camp, the Glen House, or single file along the road when plowed to sufficient width."

I'm sure some old trails vanished, were rerouted, or incorporated into newer trails, but I find this stuff pretty cool. If anyone out there has feedback on history of some or any of these let me know. I hike to learn. The next section in the book is the Northern Peaks. You would be shocked to know the cost of the Auto Road in 1936.

Anybody know what a shook mill is?

A mill to make barrel staves.

Fisher Cat said:
p. 110-Aqueduct Path-"starts rear of Glen House, travelling N, then E,.25 m to Aqueduct, at .75m crosses Go-Back Ski Trail just above dam, then joins 19 Mile Trail. When descending Carter Notch not readily noticed, bear in mind .6m below Carter Dome junction."
Aqueduct Loop still exists. It is part of the Great Glen trail system: Map

Good stuff guys, I didn't get a chance to look up what a shook mill was before typing, glad I could count on everyone.

pilgrim said:
Aqueduct Loop still exists. It is part of the Great Glen trail system: Map
That was still an active trail in the '60s when I used it to reach the hut

GGT charges in winter and for bikes in summer but summer hiking is/was donation so I've used both AP and the brook road for Carter & Wildcat hikes in the last few years

Any mention of "Little's Path" to Mt. Waternomee?

carole said:
Any mention of "Little's Path" to Mt. Waternomee?
Sorry Carole, no mention of it whatsoever. Matter of fact Waternomee doesn't even get mention in the text of that region. Outside of its location on the map insert there's nothing. Anything else?