More White Mtn. Ponds questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
More White Mtn. Pond questions

1) What are the names of the trails leading to Lower and Middle Hall Ponds?

2) Is there a trail or herd path connecting the two ponds?

3) Are there any roads leading to Lower or Middle Hall Ponds?

4) Is the old road into Kiah Pond accessible by a Subaru in the summer or is the road now just a trail?

Last edited:
NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
1) What are the names of the trails leading to Lower and Middle Hall Ponds?
There are no named trails that I know of.

Is there a trail or herd path connecting the two ponds?
Yes. There is an "anglers path" (directions in Pond & Lakes of the White Mountains by Steve Smith) connecting the two. And a possible path from Upper Hall, but I didn't follow it all the way.

Are there any roads leading to Lower or Middle Hall Ponds?
Yes. Following Sandwich Notch Road from Thornton, take the first right after the power lines on Beebe River Road. Just before the gate on Beebe River Road, take a very hard right on Lower Hall Pond Road. Last summer, the road was passable for high clearance vehicles, with only one major gully to navigate. If you don't have sufficient clearance, park near the gate and walk in. (The subject gully nearly ripped off my brand new exhaust system. It's a doozy!) If you drive all the way in, park at blocking boulders. The path to Lower Hall is on the right from the clearing. An old logging road leads straight thru the clearing beyond the boulders to a herd path to Middle Hall. This route is faint, but can be followed with specific directions.

Is the old road into Kiah Pond accessible by a Subaru in the summer or is the road now just a trail?
No. Kiah Pond Road is a horror show. It is drive-able, but only with high clearance. If you can't make the first obstacle, turn back, give up, and hike in. It only gets worse as you go along.

If you want more specific info, PM me.