Moriah for my 48th on 12/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
Started out the day with my windshield washer fluid freezing, then Fosters were out of family parking passes as mine had expired Nov... At the parking lot it was 8 degrees and windy but we were ready and prepared for the cold.

The crossing on Stony Brook Trail was fine, the rocks had ice but another layer of crusty snow on top so it wasn't a problem. Three of my friends joined me and we headed up. It was a very pleasant hike up, but we were pretty bundled up and didn't really have a need to thin down. The trail wasn't bad at all until we hit the Carter-Moriah trail when it turned pretty icy. We started with stabilizers but they weren't quite enough for the ice. When the pitch increased I broke down and put my crampons on...I was carrying them so why not use them. They were very welcome as we continued our climb up and into the open ledges and strong face biting cold winds.

We didn't stop for long anywhere's except to repair crampons & to eat quickly and drink. Made it to the top and had pretty nice views but it was "cold" and we snapped a few pics and got the "X#@#" down off that Mountain. With faces shielded and plenty of layers it was still biting cold. I think my jaw froze, hard to smile for the pic! :D

We stopped in to Gorham for a celebrational pizza & adult beverages and were glad to be in where it was warm!

Thanks to Steph, Charlie, and Dave for joining me for my final 48th all-season!

Pictures attached:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MtMoriah1?authkey=0gNCUuGxUhY

Congratulations! Great job!!

I was thinking about you folks while raking leaves Saturday. It was cold and windy raking leaves in MA. Must have been really cold out on the ridge. Your fine photos seemed to confirm that.

You were also smarter than us to break out the crampons early. Definitely lotsa ice.

Hopefully your hiking passion will not drop off after finishing the big list. Mine sure didn't :D

Best regards,
Marty

Whoo Hoo!!!!
Congrats on finishing your 48!! I too, finished my 48th on Moriah.
How wonderful!! You should be so very proud of yourself ;)
kmac