Mount Abraham, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
Well I guess we got one last really good spring hike in before the rain decided to hit us. Beansprout and I were hanging around Burlington the other day and decided that Abraham might be a nice little Jaunt, so we got out the road atlas and headed over to the Battell (sp) Trail.

As we drove up the mud and pot hole infested back roads of Central VT we had some amazing views of the open summit and noticed that the trail had several visitors that day. As we were unpacking our snowshoes a young college girl was coming down the trail, so we asked, "do we need these things?" She didn't have them and she assured us, no one was using them and they were not needed. Well that's some very famous last words right there - but she was right - I went against my gut feeling of always bring them and left them in the Subbie. The trail was like creamed corn, but solid under the slushy 1/2 inch of vegetable matter. We decided to use our microspikes about 0.1 miles up the trail. From here it was very uneventfull. We say a half dozen people on the trail, one of which was a brave skier with his pooch companion.

We had the open summit to ourselves, very windy, and cold - but clear. We could see the Presi's and Adirondacks very clearly. Camels Himp looked like it was close enough to touch. Then there was the glissading, a couple good butt slides with our slippery pants - then we removed our microspikes and skated down the remaining parts of the trail. Up in just over 2 hours, down in less than one - awesome conditions.

Check out the few photos here.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38829&id=165295886845546&saved#!/photos.php?id=165295886845546