Mount Cube Traverse 2/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
Date: 2/2

Trails Used: climbed up the Rivendell Trail and down the AT. Rivendell Trail is very icy, spikes went on halfway up and were worn for the rest of the hike. The dog had to be hauled up in a few places but was generally fine. The AT was much better for decent as the snow was very crunchy with great traction for microspikes and Yaktrax. The amount of ice was quite tiring mentally.

On the way down, my hiking companions commented briefly that we had never seen the couple we had met at the AT parking lot while spotting cars, not even footprints. This was obviously peppersass from the post below this one. We found out why when we reached Brackett Brook, which was like a lake with rotting ice on top-with footprints turning around on the other side! If I had been going up, I probably would have turned around as well, but we were only 1.5miles from the car and it was getting late in the day. We crossed by shimmying across a birch log that fallen across upstream. Again, we had major trouble convincing the dog to come across, but he eventually made it. Be careful if you want to bring your dog on this one.

Special equipment required: Microspikes or other traction are essential. You'll want to wait for the water to go down before using the AT, because waders are the only way to be sure your boots will stay dry.