Mount Major

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
We hiked Mt. Major in the Alton area yesterday and ran into a problem we haven't encountered before. Our plan was to head up via the trail that is located at the end of Jesus Valley Road. We've done this many times before, without incident. Yesterday, however, the homeowner came out and asked us if we had a "problem," and didn't we see the "No Tresspassing" signs along the bottom of the hill near his house. His attitude seemed angry and assertive (even his rottweiler seemed intimidated by him) so we didn't ask him any polite questions about the "change" in being allowed to park here. He stated "All land is owned by someone, you know." We politely apologized and left. We went back to the primary trailhead and hiked up via the Boulder Loop Trail, which is a fun and interesting route, not nearly as frequently used as the main trails up this short peak. Have any of you encountered problems recently at the Jesus Valley Road trailhead?

You may have stumbled upon this problem:

[start quote]"No parking signs will be placed at the end of Jesus Valley Rd by Ben, due to a complaint that people are blocking the home owners access. Please do not park there and ride slow. We need these trails and do not want to risk loss of permission to ride there.

The trail from the intersection of "22" and "D" to the bottom of the trail to Straightback will be marked with 15 MPH speed limit signs. The home owner walks there and doesn't want to be run over." [end quote]

--from the minutes of a 2004 meeting of the Mount Major Snowmobile Club

As indicated in Waumbek's post the homeowner at the end of the road obviously experiences problems with snowmobilers parking vehicles and trailers near his home and causing concern on the trail with their speed. I also noticed recent tracks from either a four-wheeler or dirt bike coming from that way so this may have a bearing on the problem. There is place to park further down the road from his house. I have never had any problem parking or hiking in the area but do avoid it in high snowmobile season. Respecting landowners wishes goes a long way to all enjoying the trails. I'm glad you had a good hike from a different trailhead.

Nothing Major if you have a compass & map with you

I'm going to hijack this thread just a little, since it's a convenient device for what I'd like to say:

Fish & Game had to go pluck a couple of twenty-something hikers out of the woods on Saturday night. This is a far too common occurrence around Mt. Major. Folks, if you're headed there, please take a map, compass, and flashlight. Remember that Rte. 11 is always to the east. And continuing to go west, or northwest, will not change that fact. :rolleyes:

sardog1 said:
I'm going to hijack this thread just a little, since it's a convenient device for what I'd like to say:

Fish & Game had to go pluck a couple of twenty-something hikers out of the woods on Saturday night. This is a far too common occurrence around Mt. Major. Folks, if you're headed there, please take a map, compass, and flashlight. Remember that Rte. 11 is always to the east. And continuing to go west, or northwest, will not change that fact. :rolleyes:

Just a thoguht........

Ive hiked mt major many times and it seems to be in a populated area i.e many main roads. Were these people just being dumb or are the woods in that area somewhat deep. some of the peeks in the area seem to be exposed so you have veiws of Winni and some Mt. ranges thus giving you a ref. point to go by.

sardog1 said:

Now I'm still a little new to the area....but....I've been up to Mt. Major a few times, once with an acquaintance, once by myself and my dog, and once with my husband. I'm not familair with the Jesus Valley Rd entrance, but have always used the most common trailhead. Just a few thoughts on this matter...First I don't know how long this trailhead has been at this location vs. the homeowner, so for respect of the homeowner, I'd have to agree with him. I wouldn't want to be out walking the dog and have a bunch of snowmobilers and/or ATV's come rushing through practically running me over, or try to get out of the driveway and have at all blocked up, not being able to get out, that would irritate me too. Second, maybe there should be a way to relocate the trailhead somehow??? I don't know how that would work, but maybe it could be an option? Third, if people that do use the area, should have a little more respect for the homeowner, they should put themselves in his shoes.

Now as far as the hikers getting lost....I can kinda see how that could happen, but they were supposed to be experienced hikers.....so they weren't totally prepared. When I went by myself, this was only the second time at the Mtn. As I was coming from the parking lot, I intended to go the same route as I did when I went with the other hiker that knew the Mtn., but missed the turn and ended up going up around the backside that did lead to the peak, as well as the trail to Straightback Mtn. As I was taking this trail, I had my map and compass(still not real good at using it, that's another story, still learning), I noticed this trail was not real well marked, but could tell that it definately "was" a trail, so I continued up this way knowing I could always just turn around and go back the same way. As I was reaching what looked like the back side of the peak, I noticed a few markings, one that said to Straightback Mtn.,(I think, it was about .6? miles from there?), not really sure. Now, I wanted to go check it out, but was a little concerned that I didn't know the area, still a bit of a novice hiker, was by myself, and the trail I just came off of wasn't marked real well, so I opted to leave it for another time, possibly with someone. So as far as the hikers getting lost....makes me wonder how well this trail is marked or did they do some bushwacking or reached the other peak and didn't notice which way they came out of the trailhead(I've done that before, but figured it out) or some other reason they got "lost"? Now I'm glad I didn't got that route by myself and will definately wait to go with my husband who is a more experienced hiker and does know how to read a compass. I wonder though, the article said they were 4 miles lost??? Apparently there is a trial, that is about 12 miles, that leads to a ranger station to Gunstock Mtn., were they on that trail? Who knows, hopefully they learned something from that experience.

Klutz said:
the article said they were 4 miles lost??? Apparently there is a trial, that is about 12 miles, that leads to a ranger station to Gunstock Mtn., were they on that trail?
That's the likely scenario IMO. I once walked from the Boy SCout Camp in Gilmanton Iron Works to B. Mae's Resort in Guilford. The only real problem I had was that some private company had bought the back side of Rowe Mtn and posted it, forcing me onto the snowmobile/ATV trails. I had GPS, map and compass and was still a mite confused at times. There is a real rat's nest of unmarked trails up there, especially around the area of Piper Mtn. I can see novice hikers getting lost, but as someone else said, walk east from anyway on that range and you hit Rte 11. The problem is that I think most of the folks that get lost have no compass or map.

Last edited:
For three days I've been thinking Mt. Major, Mt. Major, why do I know that name, not in the Whites, hmmm.
The first mountain I ever hiked was Monadnock. Newton Mass schools used to take each fifth-grade class for a week to Peterborough. My class went in January, lots of snow and we climbed Monadnock in the middle of the week. It was beautiful.
Probably the following summer, I went to Boy Scout Camp in Gilmanton. We climbed Mt. Major in humid 95 degree weather with heavy packs through tall, thick brush and billions of insects.
One of the worst days I ever spent doing anything.

Klutz said:
I'm not familair with the Jesus Valley Rd entrance, but have always used the most common trailhead. Just a few thoughts on this matter...First I don't know how long this trailhead has been at this location... Second, maybe there should be a way to relocate the trailhead somehow???
There is no trailhead. It is just an end of a road with a house at that end. Blocking someones home access is foolish.

Klutz said:
but they were supposed to be experienced hikers.....So as far as the hikers getting lost....makes me wonder how well this trail is marked
Based on two accounts from Foster’s Online it appears the two started up Mt. Major and continued over to Straightback Mt. either purposely or not. There is a well marked (blue-blazed trail) with directional signs at each junction. They would have had to have passed at least 3 junctions to get to Straightback Mt.

Straightback Mt. also has directional signs which points you back to Major, so how people miss all this information is anyone’s guess. I have found people almost as far as Mt.Anna with no clue that they were going in the opposite direction. If people cannot read signs I am quite sure they can’t read a compass and map.

Klutz said:
I wonder though, the article said they were 4 miles lost??? Apparently there is a trial, that is about 12 miles, that leads to a ranger station to Gunstock Mtn., were they on that trail? Who knows, hopefully they learned something from that experience.
It is 1.75 miles to Mt Major (via the Main trail), 1.1 miles from Major to Straightback, and another ~1 mile to Mt. Anna which is on the scout reservation. I was on that section myself on Saturday clearing blowdown returning toward Major at 2pm. Never saw anyone.

Kluz -- with all due respect, I think it is difficult to make a judgement on a "trailhead" when you haven't been there. And besides, we're hikers, not ATV or snowmobile riders. This trailhead is unofficial, for sure. There is no sign there. It has been used for many years, though, seemingly without problems from hikers. The house is at the end of the road, on the right side. There is plenty of room on the left side -- the area looks like it was once a sand pit. There is a trail used by off roaders that leads from the primary trailhead area and comes out behind this guy's house, then ascends the hill in the sand pit that hikers use. Certainly the wishes of property owners should be honored. The question I was posing was "does anyone know why this has changed?" I was thinking that perhaps it was a new owner (as the area looked tidier than it had), who hadn't known about the tradition of a few hikers for parking there. I once lived on a dirt road and mine was the only house on the road. I would have loved for the woods to be all mine. Alas, that wasn't so -- the road was maintained by the town. The man at the house on Jesus Valley Road reminded me of the attitude held by my ex-husband: don't be friendly, don't give information or make suggestions, just look and act hostile. Guess I'm over-sensitive to that...

Thanks Carole for clarifying the information....when I was up at the top, I remember seeing the sign stating how far it was to Straightback Mtn., but couldn't remember the exact milage. But from the "backside", as I said, I remember seeing another sign stating the milage from that point, but I can't remember what it was from that point. A lot of blowdowns, eh? Yeah we came across a lot of blow downs this past weekend on Mt. Osceola.

eruggles said:
Kluz -- with all due respect, I think it is difficult to make a judgement on a "trailhead" when you haven't been there. And besides, we're hikers, not ATV or snowmobile riders. This trailhead is unofficial, for sure. There is no sign there. It has been used for many years, though, seemingly without problems from hikers. The house is at the end of the road, on the right side. There is plenty of room on the left side -- the area looks like it was once a sand pit. There is a trail used by off roaders that leads from the primary trailhead area and comes out behind this guy's house, then ascends the hill in the sand pit that hikers use. Certainly the wishes of property owners should be honored. The question I was posing was "does anyone know why this has changed?" I was thinking that perhaps it was a new owner (as the area looked tidier than it had), who hadn't known about the tradition of a few hikers for parking there. I once lived on a dirt road and mine was the only house on the road. I would have loved for the woods to be all mine. Alas, that wasn't so -- the road was maintained by the town. The man at the house on Jesus Valley Road reminded me of the attitude held by my ex-husband: don't be friendly, don't give information or make suggestions, just look and act hostile. Guess I'm over-sensitive to that...

I don't get it, maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say here, but, "trailheads" are usually marked pretty good from what I've seen. So if there's no sign, and you didn't know the area, then how would you know that it was even a trail leading to who knows where??? :confused: So, if it is a new homeowner that didn't know that this was used by many people for various outdoor lovers, then maybe he should've checked out the area a little better or someone should've informed him when he bought the place. As far as him not being friendly, well I can't say much for that, 'cept that he'll just have to deal with it, as long as it's not on his "own" property....but if it's on his "own" property, then maybe if he doesn't want people to be there, then maybe he ought to put up a great big fence to keep all the "rascals" ;) out. "Don't buy the farm, if you don't want to put up with the stink", as my husband would say. :p That's just my opinion. There's just a lot of unhappy people out there, unfortunately for them.

eruggles, I have one question for you, based on this:

Yesterday, however, the homeowner came out and asked us if we had a "problem," and didn't we see the "No Tresspassing" signs along the bottom of the hill near his house.

Were there, in fact, "No Trespassing" signs posted and did you see them?

carole said:
Based on two accounts from Foster’s Online it appears the two started up Mt. Major and continued over to Straightback Mt. either purposely or not. There is a well marked (blue-blazed trail) with directional signs at each junction. They would have had to have passed at least 3 junctions to get to Straightback Mt.
The PeakMaster reports that one time he was at the junction at the col, and some kids who were in a hurry to get to the parking lot followed the arrow that said "StraightBack" :)

There are a lot of trails in this area, some blazed better than others, and quite a few even have posted maps. Hikers get lost on Monadnock all the time when it's down in every direction and only a couple miles to a road, while from Major there is one direction in which the nearest road is several miles and it's up & down so you are more likely to walk in circles.

I used to climb Mt. Major every Thursday morning for about 3 years when I lived in the area. One time, I decided to vary my route by a bit and I got completely twisted around. The trails off the backside are very confusing.

uphillklimber said:
eruggles, I have one question for you, based on this:

Yesterday, however, the homeowner came out and asked us if we had a "problem," and didn't we see the "No Tresspassing" signs along the bottom of the hill near his house.

Were there, in fact, "No Trespassing" signs posted and did you see them?

There were two "No Trespassing" sings just below the house, where there is a rise in the road to the house. In retrospect, they might have been new, but I am not sure. There were no signs in the "pit" area across the road from the house, where we have always parked before, and where we have seen others park.

The signage on Mt. Major has improved lately, based on our experience going up the Boulder Loop Trail. We didn't head over to Straightback this time, so I'm not sure about that area. We haven't had problems in the past, though. I can't imagine getting benighted in that area, but don't want to make judgements on someone else's experience without having been there.

Last edited:
jjmcgo said:
Probably the following summer, I went to Boy Scout Camp in Gilmanton. We climbed Mt. Major in humid 95 degree weather with heavy packs through tall, thick brush and billions of insects.
One of the worst days I ever spent doing anything.

Sorry to say but I think many have a similar feeling after their hike based on the look on many a child’s (or adult’s) face.

Klutz said:
I don't get it, maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say here, but, "trailheads" are usually marked pretty good from what I've seen. So if there's no sign, and you didn't know the area, then how would you know that it was even a trail leading to who knows where??? :confused:

Until recently there were no signs at the parking lot for Mt. Major. Just a parking lot and trails leading off in different directions. People read about the mountain in a guidebook or other tourist info and go. The new signs are there to help.

Kevin Rooney said:
Just a comment re: maps and compasses - don't assume that everyone carries one of each. It's been my experience that many (and in summer it may be the majority) of hikers DON'T have a map. Consequently, a trail junction, without the aid of a map, can be meaningless.

As the old saying goes - you can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been.

This may very well be the case and every attempt is being made to let people know where they are and where they can go. I would say that 99.9% of those hiking this mountain have no map or compass. And most are tourists or families hiking in the area for their first time.

dug said:
I used to climb Mt. Major every Thursday morning for about 3 years when I lived in the area. One time, I decided to vary my route by a bit and I got completely twisted around. The trails off the backside are very confusing.
Hopefully, with the new signs this is no longer the case.

Based on your choice you may come to this junction. Do you know how to return to your car? Or maybe you want to continue your hike to Straightback Mt. Can you figure out how to get there?

Now that your reached Straightback Mt. can you figure out how to get back to your car?

If you end up here (~3 miles in the opposite direction of Major), have you figured out yet how to get to your car?

Carole -- it was great to see your pictures. All that was missing was the one of the Jesus Valley Road parking lot (ha-ha), though one picture does show a sign referring to it. Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful input! Do you remember when a comdey TV show (I can't remember the name right now :rolleyes: ) had a segment where people were asked by a gate attendant to pay a toll to hike up Mt. Major? :eek:

Candid Camera did park themselves on the Main trail. I know, I was there that day!! :eek:

carole said:
So you decide to hike Mt. Major and reach the summit. Can you make a choice of how to return to your car?

She's not kidding. I was on the summit early one winter and chatted with a husband and wife who asked about routes to descend. They had a couple young kids with them, and I suggested that the Brook Trail would be less steep and thus better for them under the icy conditions. I pointed toward the trail start (which is nearby but not quite visible from the summit) and described how to get there. They left and I stayed on the summit.

About 5-10 minutes later, wife comes back and asks me to show them the route. I took them over and got them started on the trail. It was apparent to me at that point that they could easily have ended up somewhere near Straightback by mistake if she hadn't asked for help. I caught up with them later near the bottom. It was dark by then -- could have been an uncomfortable time for them ...

When I was on Straightback on Nov 11th the sign post was turned with the signs pointing in the wrong directions. I turned it so the the directions were correct. I am not sure the post is real secure; it could have been blown down with the recent winds.
Happy Turkey Day and Happy Hiking to all!
Don L