Mount Shaw and Black Snout

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Looking for some good shoulder season hikes we headed down to the Ossipees to hike Mount Shaw. This was my first time in the Ossipees. I've lived in NE for 13 years and this was my first time to hike these mountains. Why? because I'm an idiot. This is a great area to hike and I should have come here years ago.

The trailhead for the Mount Shaw trail has a few places for cars. There was one car there when I arrived. The occupants had camped in the camping area. When I got back the car had been replaced by another. The owner of that car had hiked Tate Mt.

The trailhead was totally snow free. There were a few signs of snow around 1500' and widely scattered patches on the steep pitch up to the ridge. The trail to the ridge was basically snow free. Once on the ridge around 2600' we were suddenly in the snow which continued and deepened right up to the summit. Snowshoes could have been used on the Black Snout spur and on the Black Snout trail from the Black Snout spur to the place where the snowmobiles trail comes in. From that point to the summit it was clear sailing. The snow pack held up fairly well today. It could be difficult on a really warm day but the distance is short.

We were in the fog most of the morning and there were no views at the top but we did get some views of the lake as we were descending the steep pitch on the way back down. There was no wind until we got up on the ridge where it was blowing pretty well.

There are three significant stream crossings that required a bit of wading while stepping on the rocks. The streams were a bit deeper on the way back but with boots it was not a problem.

When we got up on the ridge I was reminded once again why I always have Lauky on a leash. Just as we got up on the ridge we encountered a large Moose. The call of the wild surged from the depths of Lauky's soul like an Artesian well, He was totally out of his ever loving mind determined to run that beast to the ground or die trying.:eek: I haven't seen anything like it since we encountered the bear last fall over on Cabot. The moose took off and I never would have caught either one of them. Fortunately, he was on a leash and eventually calmed down.

All in all it was a great two season hike, mild down below, wind, fog and snow up on the ridge. Loved it all.:) All day I was expecting a trail bandit to jump out from behind a tree to steal all my earthly possessions but it never happened. :D

Distance: 7.6 miles
Elevation gain: 2400'

[email protected]

Last edited: