Mountain Bird Watch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
http://www.vtecostudies.org/MBW/

This is a study that is specific to the VFTT range: Catskills, adirondaks, Green Mountains, White Mountains and Maine.

They have some slots for more volunteers. It involves and early morning hike (2 or 3 am) so that you are in position by 4:30 of 5:00 to listen and count various species. One can participate at various levels: identify the target bird, the Bicknell's Thrush; identify five species; or identify everything you hear. They supply training materials and great instructions for the protocol.

I must say participatiing in this study has been one of my greatest mountain experiences. Sun is rising, these birds are singing there flute like songs and the earth is waking up. Come down off the mountain or stay up there for a cup of coffee and and full day of peak bagging ahead.

Thanks for posting this. I very seldom check this forum. Duh! This looks like my kind of adventure. I just emailed to volunteer for Mt. Eastman, a cherrished area. Any suggestions on how to bone up on id skills for the Bicknell's Thrush?

happy trails :)

Once you register you'll be sent a guide book and a training cd with the Bicknell and four other species being studied as well as some sound-alike birds. I found the training cd to be very useful. It also includes a quiz. Have fun with it.

-vegematic

I've volunteered for N. Kearsarge this year and may be doing some piloting work in a couple of other spots this month as well. The Bicknell monitoring season starts this Sunday. I'm looking forward to it, and if you are curious about it, there are still a few unclaimed points everywhere from Maine to the Adirondacks. Hikes can be done any day in June, so it isn't too late.
vtecostudies.org/MBW/available.