Hiking is for the birds!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
Hiking isn't really FOR the birds, but my friend Brent and I were hiking FOR birds last weekend for a program called Mountain Birdwatch, organized by Vermont Center for Ecostudies.

Here's a link to the program: http://www.vtecostudies.org/MBW/index.html

Surveying two routes seemed like a good justification to get some hammock camping in, at least until 4:15 rolled around on Saturday morning, and we had to get up to begin the survey! We surveyed Engine Hill and Isolation, so we were in the area camping from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. We heard all kinds of birds, but only two Bicknell's Thrush, the primary target of the study.

Anyhow, it was gorgeous weather for camping in the Whites!

Here's a bit of a photo essay from our trip.

Brent deep in thought

white bog orchid

Trail closed south of junction!

remnants of Rocky Branch railroad

Brent deep in thought, again ;-)

mountain cranberry

what a spot for dinner!

Lot's of Labrador tea, but where did Mt. Washington go?

fernwhack down from Davis to Rocky Branch! We decided to bushwack back to Rocky Branch to shave off about 4.5 miles from our walk out. It was pretty easy going, mostly!

It looks like Irene rearranged the boulders along this waterfall on a tributary to Rocky Branch quite a bit!

lots of cow parsnip around Rocky Branch shelter #2

our route

Last edited:
Which two routes did you survey? I surveyed Mt. Success on Friday morning. I heard no Bicknell's Thrushes during my survey but heard some at my campsite the night before, and one in the morning as we were starting down. I guess they were sleeping in that day.