Mountain Lion in Pawtuckaway - Let the debate begin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a very unofficial comment, but an outdoor savy friend who lives in the Pawtuckaway area believes she might have seen the mountain lion, too. She didn't have a clear or lengthy enough view to be sure, but based on size, color and non-dog-like behavior is fairly confident.

Last edited:
While I wont dispute what you saw, I have seen 2 lions up close ( one at 25ft) (one at 50ft) both of the Lions I saw went at least 110 lbs and there was no doubt they where Lions as one stalked me for 20 minutes before I had to scare him off.

The best information that experts in the field of big cat biology have is that these animals have not made it this far east yet. What you saw does indeed sound VERY small for a mountain lion, and it is awfully hard to make IDs when the adrenaline is rushing and the animal is out of there fast. Released captive lions have been confirmed in New England, the most "famous" in the area of the Quabbin in Massachusetts, and given the reputations of the folks I know who are experts on the topic I usually tend to think that first, the ID is incorrect owing to 1) lack of knowledge of and experience with bobcat or lynx or 2) the short nature of sightings and observation of the cat And second that in the event that the animal is a big cat, it is in fact a former "pet" which has either escaped or been turned loose when the owner realizes he is in over his head.

The prey and habitat are here, however, and I have no doubt that the cats will follow at some point. In my opinion, and in the opinion of the experts here in New England (check out Sue Morse's at Keeping Track, especially) and elsewhere they just haven't made it here yet.

They're definitely here. The only question is whether they're breeding in the wild.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/northeast.html

That question is settled by asking this question:

Where's the list of the veterinarians who will acknowledge having neutered ANY captive mountain lion(s) in New England?

As Cole Porter sang, "Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it." And so do big kitties, when they meet other big kitties in places with lots of deer and lots of heavy cover in which to raise young'uns. Hmmm, anyone seen any place like that around hereabouts? :)

As Cole Porter sang, "Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it." And so do big kitties, when they meet other big kitties in places with lots of deer and lots of heavy cover in which to raise young'uns. Hmmm, anyone seen any place like that around hereabouts? :)

Interesting point. But do they have anyone to "do it" with? If there are only solitary itinerant cougars roaming the woods, how do they find a mate? As Ray Charles sang, "It takes two to tango". :D

I agree with John Harrigan that there are probably wolves in NH, ME. I'm still on the fence about cougars.

bob

I agree with John Harrigan that there are probably wolves in NH, ME. bob

What ever happened with the examination of the dog/wolf hybrid in Maine found last year or the year before? That thing was found dead and hauled away for examination. The results of the examination were never publicly announced, at least to my knowledge.