Mousilauke(42), North(43) South Kinsman(44), North Twin(45) - 7/25-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
My goal for this weekend originally was to entertain Carrigain, the Wildcats and North Twin.

However, I was presented the opportunity to ponder a variable and not too optimistic weather forecast and that coupled with a good amount of rain in the area of interest for the days preceding the weekend did not leave me thrilled about heading to the Whites.

Going into the weekend, there were forecasts of 30% to 50% rain and scattered thunderstorms.

60% on Sunday!

I need to drive anywhere from 280 to 350 miles to get to the trailheads in the Whites so it is important for me to try to make the best decisions to go or not to go.

I don't mind peak-bagging in inclement weather as long as I am not putting myself carelessly into harms way.

After checking out some options and with a thought of a friend lingering in my head "to hell with the nay-sayers!!!" I decided to give it a go.

I brought along a lot of extra clothes and rain gear, changed my itinerary to go for Mousilauke, North and South Kinsman and North Twin.

I arrive at the "Turnaround" at the end of Ravine Lodge Road, Friday afternoon with Sunny Skies and departed for Mousilauke at 1:25 PM.

The climb was quiet and easy going. I passed a few groups on the way up and had some cheerful conversations.

So far, it was a good day. The summit was grand in the sunlight and I was surprised to see 15 or 20 people up there on a Friday afternoon. I had a snack, rested the dogs, took in the views and in 20 minutes I was chugging back down the trail. AT 4:37 I was in my lounge chair ("The Barca-lounger") eating Watermelon and enjoying treating my dogs to a run-in with my foot roller.

Having time to relax, an odd occurrence for me, I lolly-gagged and found my way over to the WildWood campground.

The next day I was up early and at the Mount Kinsman Trailhead and walking by 7:20 AM. The trail was dark and lurking about my senses. Rare and scattered beams of sunshine filtered through the trees.

It was like that most of the way up to the Kinsman Ridge Trail. I hung a right and bumped into a thru-hiker. I waved at a few people on the ledge off of North Kinsman's summit and blew on by to South Kinsman.

I noticed the very large cairn out in the distance and headed off to that point. I set my altimeter at the cairn to the South Kinsman elevation (4358) and plopped down to enjoy the views.

On my way back I took a reading on the first bump past North Kinsman to find it was 10 feet lower then where the giant cairn marked the true summit. I chuckled at this and returned to North Kinsman bathed in radiant sunshine and deep blue skies.

I sat on the ledge. After a few minutes I left the summit.

I met many happy people in good cheer on the descent and I was back to my car at 11:30, relaxing in The Barca-lounger, re-hydrating and snacking on bananas and oranges and treating my dogs to yet another good foot-rolling.

People I passed on the way down were happy to chat when they arrived at the road. The day was shaping up nicely.

I was back on the road and driving up to 93 and over to 3. I managed to find "Haystack Road" slid my 3 beans into the tube and rolled onward to the North Twin Trailhead.

At 1:25 I set out for the summit of North Twin.

I was forewarned to a great extent about the river crossings here and being that I have never been here before I knew not what to expect.
I read and was told about the bushwhack up the east side of the "Little River".

I donned my trailrunners with Neoprene Socks as a precaution. The river was running fast and I assumed high. At this first crossing it was not hard to see where to go. Now, I know it is described in the book as a "Bushwhack". However, it is hardly a bushwhack but a very well defined "herd path". I had no problems locating the third river crossing. I waded across, at times knee deep to the other side. My dogs were smiling.

At about 3300 feet I ran into a couple on their way down and at approximately a quarter mile from the summit I ran into another pair descending.

At the first ledge I saw a couple sitting and snacking and I remarked to them as I was pointing to the summit..."It's over there!".

I tight path wound it's way over to North Twin's summit where I dropped my pack snack in hand headed for the Viewpoint. I sat there for at least 10 minutes admiring the view and noted the number of big white puffy clouds reaching up high into the late afternoon sky. It turned out to be another great day.

On my way down, somehow I managed to pass both pairs of hikers and had good conversations.

At 4:40 PM I was once again treating the dogs to a good massage via roller and relaxing the The Barca-lounger. One nice lady that was in one of the pairs I met was finishing the "48" tomorrow (Sunday) on Cabot. We wished each other luck. It turned out to be a great weekend after all.

Having met my goals for this weekend, I headed back to the campsite and a good Italian Dinner at Govani's and looked forward to driving home in the morning. Later on, I was tucked into the hammock to the tune of rolling thunder and scattered showers.

I have three peaks remaining of the "48". Carrigain and both Wildcats.

Hopefully in the next month I can get back to the Whites and take care of business.

Zer0-G

Last edited:
North Twin

North Twin has one great bay-window view over the White's picture. Did also enjoyed the view at the end of a trek from Hale on the way to Galehead's a couple of days before your passing.

Only one minor difference...you got the best from the skies during that week....it was pretty wet from the 16th to the 24th in the mountains. "Dry comfort" was not an option.

Nice going & gd luck of your Wilcats!

Mimi said:
Only one minor difference...you got the best from the skies during that week....it was pretty wet from the 16th to the 24th in the mountains. "Dry comfort" was not an option.

Nice going & gd luck of your Wilcats!

I heard rumors of the Nasty weather....

I don't know when I'll get to the Wildcats or Carrigain but I'm looking for partners.

All my local partners have done all of these.... :(

Wow! Lotsa peaks tagged and you were really cruisin'!

I may have to invest in some neoprene socks :p

All of your remaining mountains are very nice ones --- you can't go wrong with any of them for a place to finish the 48. :)

una_dogger said:
Wow! Lotsa peaks tagged and you were really cruisin'!

I may have to invest in some neoprene socks :p

yup...and my dogs are still barkin' :eek:

I took the neoprene with me as a last second thing...

They really worked out well.
I used to use them when I hiked in Sandals and in the peat bogs in Ireland...