MSR Lightening Ascents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MSR response

I sent this email to MSR and received this response:

Hello,
I recently purchased a pair of LA's. I had been quite happy with them
on the few hikes I have had them for, up until now. On the last hike
out I was surprised to see that the front cleat had completely broken
off one of the shoes. I have a lot of MSR equipment and have always
been happy with it, but was disappointed, and frankly shocked, that
this occurred. Perhaps I am naive in thinking that snowshoes won't
break. They do take a beating out there, but in no way did I abuse
them, they just didn't hold up to what I thought was pretty normal
use. I had read good reviews and knew people that used them to climb
the winter 4k's here in NH. I was sure these were what I wanted. I
was looking for a more aggressive shoe with a televator for the steep
pitches and crusty snow conditions here in the NE.

Fortunately for me, I didn't even notice that they had broken until
the long road walk on packed snow at the end of the day, and not at
4300' between summits. Perhaps this is a testament to the shoes, that
I got through the hike, despite them breaking, but now, my question
is this, how do I get them fixed? The metal frame is broken where the
cleat should be, and the rivets popped and although I am handy, I do
not feel comfortable with replacing the piece my self. I am also not
thrilled about the idea of paying for shipping to your company for
repair. Should I return them to REI in Reading Ma. where I purchased
them, or can you send me a shipping label so I can send them to you?

Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc.
I recommend that you send in just the broken binding itself and we will replace it. To remove the binding all you need to do is remove the two small split rings on the bottom and pull out the small pins. You can either ship these in or REI will often send items in for customers. We will pay for the shipping back. Here is a link to our return products form and additional shipping information: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/contact_us/repair_form.aspx
As a side note rarely do we see bindings for the Lightnings come back broken as they are our most sturdy bindings so I am not sure what happened here but they are warrantable.

Nathan Hamm
Cascade Designs Inc.
4225 2nd Ave. South
Seattle, WA 98134
1(800)531-9531
[email protected]
Quality Innovation Service

I didn't mention bindings, but maybe I'm using the wrong terminology? What I call a cleat is what broke. Maybe I should call it a crampon? At any rate, I am returning the broken piece.
cleat1.jpg

This is what it should look like.

cleat2.jpg

Note the two small rings used to remove it. To think that I could remove those rings in the field, in the snow, with cold fingers is nuts, I could barely do it in my living room with my clumsy fingers. Even if I had managed I probably would have dropped them in the snow, gone forever. It would have done me no good anyway, as the design is such that the whole stirrup (again, terminology?) needs to be replaced. Even duct tape wouldn't have saved me because by the time I realized the cleat was broken, I was probably miles away from where it was buried in the snow. I don't see myself carrying a whole stirrup in case one breaks on the trail.

I am mailing it out in the morning. Will post the turn around time.

KDT

Kevin said:
Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc. . . .
As a side note rarely do we see bindings for the Lightnings come back broken as they are our most sturdy bindings so I am not sure what happened here but they are warrantable.

Nathan Hamm
Cascade Designs Inc.
4225 2nd Ave. South
Seattle, WA 98134
1(800)531-9531
[email protected]
Quality Innovation Service

Talk about hypocrisy or outright lying...this is the typical break point that I have complained about to them multiple times (see my post above), as have many other people I know. The aluminum rivets pull out, and the metal breaks across the rivet hole. You had a subsequent break near the hinge, but it is all due to poor design of the crampon.

I called them today and found out my snowshoes have been shipped with the new bindings--estimated arrival date: March 20!!! Great, just in time for spring...............

The crampons on the Denali evo Ascents are much sturdier, and don't have this problem. But MSR will never learn.

Learn

Well, perhaps I will learn, and next season pick up a pair of Atlas, Tubbs or maybe if people can convince me, I'll try the Denalis.

KDT

Just to reiterate here -- I like the Denalis, but already returned them once because the televator would not stay up. In part, this was user error as I didn't have my boot back far enough that the televator catches in front of the heel. I don't "like" this as much as it feels strange pushing up in the middle of my arch, but so far the televator has worked flawlessly on the replacement shoes. The side effect of it snapping down under load was the plastic notch got rounded over. Were I made of money, I would probably get some Atlas 1030s to spread the use around -- the Atlases would have been better this winter in the deeper powder anyway. I have a pair of 30" Tubbs, but they don't have an aggressive crampon or traction system and wouldn't slow my slide on anything steeper then the lower part of the Mt. Garfield Trail.

Note--Garfield was not exactly televator country, although I did put them up for the final .2 miles.

Tim

Epilogue

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I got my new snowshoe part back from MSR today. They completely replaced the entire binding assembly, plastic part that surrounds your boot, straps and crampon. Return shipping was free, and no questions were asked. It took two weeks, which would have hurt in mid winter, but I guess is not so bad. Luckily, (or unluckily, depending on your outlook and where you live), the snow will be around for a while, so I'll get in some more shoeing this weekend.

Conclusion: I guess I am satisfied with the service, but I remain disappointed that they broke in the first place. I probably will not buy a pair of these again unless the gauge of the metal used in the crampon is increased, although they will be heavier.

KDT

Kevin said:
Note the two small rings used to remove it. To think that I could remove those rings in the field, in the snow, with cold fingers is nuts, I could barely do it in my living room with my clumsy fingers. Even if I had managed I probably would have dropped them in the snow, gone forever.

Ditto that!! I have the Denali Ascents and that little ring broke on me while hiking in the ADK's. I was headed into Camp Peggy O'brien, about half way in from the Garden. I didn't know whether to turn around and head to The Mountaineer/EMS or keep going and hope I could fix it once at the cabin. Well, I kept going and was able to fix it with a nail and some Gorilla Tape. They sent me a new one and an extra. But, like you said, to think that you might have to fix that in the field at 0* is just crazy. It took me forever to do it in the comfort of my own house!

Kevin said:
Well, perhaps I will learn, and next season pick up a pair of Atlas, Tubbs or maybe if people can convince me, I'll try the Denalis.

KDT

I recently switched from Atlas to the MSR LAs. I bought my Atlas in late December and noticed that almost instantly, the padding between the binding assembly and boot was wearing. More recently, I noticed the material (whatever it is, the actual stuff that makes it a snowshoe), was wearing very heavily where it wraps around the frame. In fact, just about each of the attachment points were more than half worn. They're sitting next to my door, waiting to be returned to EMS next time I'm up there.

Bought the Lightning Ascents from EMS when I first reported the problem in mid March, have 8 hikes on them so far, no visible problems. Love the added traction. Reading this, I may go pick up another pair of Atlas (hoping that perhaps the new model next fall will address my problems) for powder/packed powder/bushwacking and restrict the LAs for hardpack/ice in hope to minimize the risk of ripping off the crampons.

This thread is timely as I was just beginning to look for some new shoes on an end of season sale. Based on everything I had heard about MSR shoes, I figured they were by far the best quality and had pretty much committed to getting a pair. Comments on this thread have given me reason to reconsider that choice. Thanks everyone.