Msr's? - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Msr's?

I keep reading about people using MSR snowshoes. What are these and what is the advantage? Are they lighter and smaller. I have a pair of shoes that are 10 years old. I GOT THEM BEFORE i started climbing so they are kind of big and heavy for climbing mountains.

here we go again :)

i don't feel that they're "big and heavy" and i've slogged up a few big mountains with mine.

Untill 2 winters ago I used 36" Sherpa's. They where great for when trail breaking was the norm. Now that winter peakbagging, and snowshoeing, are so popular trail breaking isn't guaranteed everytime you head out.
So when I switched to MSR's I was blown away by their lightness and traction. I no longer feel like a dumptruck lumbering down the trail... I sorta dance now.

I still have the 36" shoes, and I really love laying down the first set of tracks, but...

Onestep

If you're using 10 year old MSR's that's kinda like using Windows 3.x.

They have improved them many times and the newer ones are way more dependable.

I think his old shoes are big and heavy...

Adk_dib said:
I keep reading about people using MSR snowshoes. What are these and what is the advantage? Are they lighter and smaller.

I have a pair of shoes that are 10 years old. I GOT THEM BEFORE i started climbing so they are kind of big and heavy for climbing mountains.

not the MSR's that (s)he's asking about.

Onestep

If you get MSRs, and especially if you are on the large side, or intend to break trail a lot, get the 8" tails. I know, they are not balanced correctly, but they do help, and the MSRs alone are only rated for like 125 lbs.

I''ve been thinking about MSR Ascents with the televator heel for a few years now (I also considered the lightnin's, but I don't like the side hil problems associated with them) , but everytime I pull out my Sherpas/Tuckers I feel like I am betraying an old friend. Do you think that feeling would fade quickly on my first trudge up a broken trail??? :)
this year might be the year.......

I bought my first pair of snowshoes last year and decided on the MSR due to price (on sale at the time), recommendations on this forum, and the fact that I usually hike in packed-out places. Since we didn't have a whole bunch of snow in central MA last winter, I can't vouch for their flotation. However, I got numerous chances to test them on packed, icy snow and can say that the traction is excellent. A scramble under the main lift on Wachusett in spring (just after the mountain closed) was a piece of cake - for the snowshoes. I was huffing and puffing pretty hard on the steep slopes but the 'shoes worked great. Found $10 under the lift to boot. :) I opted for the standard model without the heel riser, but I tend to climb on my toes anyway so I probably didn't notice any difference.

If I broke mine tomorrow, I would go out and get another pair without hesitation.

Hi Guys,

I like my crescent moons but I have heard so much about the MSRs on this sit that I am thinking about a 2nd pair of shoes. I have a question. I have been told that the MSRs make a lot of noise in hard snow and ice. I do a lot of solo shoeing and so I like it as noise free as possible. Is the noise a problem?

Thanks for the input.
Mark

They are a little noisier than the average shoe but truthfully I am so us to the noise that I dont even notice it until someone says something. All shoes make noise when on icy, hard packed trails. I love my MSR shoes. I had my first pair for over 5 years and they finally gave in but that was more my own fault. I still have a pair of wooden shoes and tubbs I like to use for powder. It is good to have two pairs if you can afford it.

To address Adk dib's original question, MSR's are a brand of snowshoe.
Just do a web search on "Mountain Safety Research" and you will reach the manufacturers web site. They make a lot of innovative, good quality outdoor gear like water filters, stoves, cookware, etc.
I love mine, the prime advantage is light weight plus killer traction. Like the others said, just don't be the first one on a unbroken trail. For that you'll need your conventional 3 footers! (especially if you + pack = heavy)
But... like someone else said, by the time I get there the trail is usually packed down already and MSR's will certainly keep you on top and prevent you from making postholes! (you can also walk a little less delibrate in MSR's, I don't recall ever stepping on my other shoe)
Ideally, you would own conventional shoes plus MSR's. Kinda like boots, you pick the right based on the conditions.
If you go with the MSR get the optional floatation tails.
IMO these things are great in the mountains!
Happy snowshoe shopping!

My 25" MSR lightning are great: Light and amazing traction, allowing me to go forward while most people are switching to crampons (although they do have their limit and I own a pair of crampons anyways).

I've also broke trail with a 40lbs pack on two occasions: I could of used bigger snowshoes, but they managed to get me from A->B without too many worries.

Worth the investment if you ask me.

Fish

MSR Lightning Ascents

I own a pair of these guys (25 inches) and I can't recommend them enough. The traction is phenominal (you can run across a frozen lake with them easily if you wanted to).

They are definately a bit noisier, though.

thumbs up

I have two sets (ascents & evo ascents). The "televators" alone are worth their weight in gold....I sometimes forget to flip them up. After climbing for a while I remember to do this (flip them up), and it feels like heaven (for my lower back and calves) when I do......

The plastics can get ugly very fast though.......