Mt Adams Tower to be restored

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
This was posted on the 46er Listserv this evening and is an exerpt from
WNBZ-Saranac Lake website, Wednesday Nov. 24, 2004

MT. ADAMS FIRE TOWER TO BE RESTORED
The Department of Environmental Conservation is providing funds to help
restore the Mt. Adams fire tower on the Tahawus Tract in Newcomb.
DEC has allocated $5000 for work on the tower, located in the heart of the
High Peaks Region.
The Residents Committee to Protect the Adirondacks applauded DEC's efforts
to preserve and restore the tower. Executive Director Peter Bauer feels DEC
is protecting a site that has much to offer. "We feel there was an
opportunity here to protect this site because of its cultural value but
also because of the terrific view that it provides," he said. "And the
feedback we've heard from the hiking community is that people that have
hiked to the summit of Mt. Adams have really found a stunning view from
this tower."
The fire tower is located on the 10,000-acre Tahawus tract, purchased from
NL Industries last year by the Open Space Institute. OSI plans to sell the
acreage to the state sometime next year. Once the land is transferred, the
DEC is expected to recommend to the Adirondack Park Agency that it be
classified as part of the High Peaks Wilderness Area.
Bauer said the Mt. Adams fire tower should remain a private inholding with
use restricted by a conservation easement.
In addition to the money allocated to the Mt. Adams tower, another $5000
will go to restoration of the nearby Vanderwhacker Mountain fire tower.
Bauer said some restoration work on the two sites has already begun.
"They're stabilized but both will need more work before they will be truly
restored," he said. The renovations are needed to ensure safe public access
to the towers.
Many other fire towers across the park have been restored in recent years
by community groups, such as the Mt. Arab fire tower near Tupper Lake and
the Azure Mountain fire tower north of Paul Smiths.

I feel obligated to amend my report. I should have said "All landings/stairs leading to the LOCKED tower box itself have been restored". The box itself appears to be partially roofless and a mess in general. It's locked and you can't get in. They must be meaning the actual tower box.

It really matters not at the moment, the stairs and landings provide a good enough perch to see all there is to see. Also, if you stomp around the summit area a bit, you'll find open views in most directions.

That will be cool to be able to go up in the tower tho. Man, I'd be able to sit up there for HOURS.

P.S. what is this 46er listserve I keep hearing about, and is there a secret handshake I need to know. I get my number in a month or two perhaps I'll get to learn it then :cool:

Last edited:
Tim,

It has nothing to do with the official 46er organization. It is an internet mailing group that "our" Pete Hickey put together. You enroll and then can send and receive email on anything related to the Adirondacks. Some very knowldegeable folks there, many are VFTT members.

hopefully the other 1/2 of the roof will be put back (or they should get some treated wood on the floor)... one thing still missing is the wire mesh fencing that goes between the handrail and stairway - maybe after that is done they will take down the sign that says to stay off?

Ken,

The Chicken wire is there. Well...........it's on the ground and still in a roll, but it's up there, we saw it. Ditto on the wood for the flooring (at least that what I guessed it was for. Lots of stuff up there that appears "ready to use".

that wire that you saw was probably the same wire that has been there for many years (at least 5), rolled up - dont know why they took it off? or if it is still usable? maybe it was falling off so they finished the job and took it off all the way???

The tower was open when my wife and I hiked up Mt Adams in August ... you woulda loved it up there mavs! You could see part of the roof that was torn off over in the trees, probably blown off (Floyd?) during a windstorm.
Mavs, the pics on your trail report (on your website) are great!

That's great news about Mt.Adams. When I hiked it in 2005, you could get to the cabin on top and the views were awesome. This going to become a very popular hike and is one I'd love to repeat.