Mt. Ann near Gloucester Mass - Need Help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'm interested in climbing some of Massachusetts' smaller peaks and Mt. Ann, in Mt. Ann Park near Gloucester is high on my list (don't ask why - some will quickly guess!) TopoZone

The Park is owned by The Trustees of Reservations (since 1897!) but is "is inaccessible at this time". It is bounded by Route 128 and otherwise has private property all around. My guess is what ever right of way they had was cut off by some property dispute.

Trustees of Reservations said:
Mt. Ann Park is bound on one side by Route 128, another side by City of Gloucester watershed land, and on all other sides by private landowners. Therefore, at present, there is no authorized formal access to the reservation. Roadside parking is not permitted on New Way Lane.
Since there is "no authorized formal access", I though maybe an "informal" approach would be appropriate ;) . The quickest approach would be a quick traverse of the ridge from Route 128. There even seems to be a parking area there. But I imagine parking on the side of Route 128 would be a major risk.

I will talk to the TofR but guessing they will not have an easy fix, I need a plan B.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions from anyone who knows the area, or who might know someone who knows. (Get a Taxi - or friend - to drop you off at the roadside and pick you up later? Whatever it takes!)

I really need this peak! Please help! (Anyone have a helicopter?) Surely if folks have managed the northeast 770, this has to be an easy problem!!

Just a warning: Do not post any advise on how to trespass.

If you have contact information or can offer assistance in how to access Mt Ann legally then feel free to post.

Rte.128 is limited access and you probably should not park for long.

I have climbed Mt Ann from the roadside parking at the next exit E. The property between was not posted (then). Obviously the Trustees don't want to cause trouble with neighbors by recommending access over property they don't own but in the NE most people think it's OK to hike unposted woods. Hope this meets DM approval.

Some of my family lives in Gloucester and used to tell me stories of what used to happen on that mountain, so it is now posted.

I'd write details, but it's incredibly inappropriate for this forum :D

Papa Bear, while your in there (and I know you'll find a way!) check out "Heap of Rocks Hill" :D to the SW... great place name!

onestep said:
Papa Bear, while your in there (and I know you'll find a way!) check out "Heap of Rocks Hill" :D to the SW... great place name!
Yeah, I saw that on the map too. Cool name.

Papa Bear,
if you haven't gone yet, just wanted to pass along a couple of suggestions:

1. This area is loaded with deer ticks. Dress appropriately. I also spray on DEET from my knees down to my boots, which works quite well. I also do a thorough tick check when I get home.
2. If you are looking for some nearby hikes, the Manchester-Essex Woods and Agassiz Rock are really nice. They are on the School Street exit, just north of 128. Millstone Hill, Prospect Ledge, the Heron Pond estuary and Big & Little Agassiz Rock are some highlights.

Regards,
Marty

I wandered over to Mount Ann recently, and was actually a little disappointed. Even though it has plenty of open ledgy areas, the surrounding trees have grown up enough that the views were fairly obstructed. Since most of these are pine trees, I don't know how much the views open up once the leaves are down.

In my opinion, a much more worthwhile spot in the area is a place the locals call "Red Rocks." To access this, there is a parking area on Route 133 in West Gloucester, which is just north of Route 128 (and is just off of exit 14) and is bounded on the other side by a self-storage place. There is a trail leading behind the parking area, which roughly parallels Route 128 and heads into the woods. About 0.75 of a mile later it brings you to Red Rocks, which the topo calls Hardy Mountain. It isn't too much lower than Mount Ann (which is just on the other side of 128), but because it's much cliffier, the views are much more open. If you're in the area, it's well worth the effort. Plus, it doesn't have any of the trespassing issues that Mount Ann has.

If you have more time to explore, just a little north from the parking area on Route 133, there's a sign on the right that says "Essex County Greenbelt - Tompson Reservation." Behind this a trail leads into the woods and up the hill and to a smaller version of Red Rocks. The views a little more obstructed, but still not bad for a quickie hike. Just overall, due to the Greenbelt, there's tons of trails in the Cape Ann/North Shore area to explore.

Nate said:
I wandered over to Mount Ann recently, and was actually a little disappointed. Even though it has plenty of open ledgy areas, the surrounding trees have grown up enough that the views were fairly obstructed.
In my opinion, a much more worthwhile spot in the area is a place the locals call "Red Rocks." ...
Yeah sure, views. But does Red Rocks have an original 1846 survey marker in mint condition? ;)

Seriously, I hope to go back there and check out a number of interesting spots, not least Kurt's suggestion "Heap of Rocks Hill".

Last edited:
Pat and I climbed Mt Ann 25 years ago while there was still a parking area on Rte 128. We went back a few years later only to find any sign of access obliterated. It was pretty neat in spite of the crowds, erosion, and trash. The evergreens on the windswept summit were like bonsai and still low enough for some great views.

Good luck (legally)!

audrey said:
Pat and I climbed Mt Ann 25 years ago while there was still a parking area on Rte 128. We went back a few years later only to find any sign of access obliterated. It was pretty neat in spite of the crowds, erosion, and trash. The evergreens on the windswept summit were like bonsai and still low enough for some great views.

Good luck (legally)!
Just to remind folks, I did go there legally in April. The director of the Mount Ann Park, who works for Trustees of Reservations, took me there.

See this thread. Nice peak, the summit is quite bald and beautiful, but as Nate said, the periphery is growing.