Mt. Cabot...Becca getting close to finishing Grid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
After this hike, BeccaM needs only 3 more over the next 2 months to finish The Grid :D

It was muggy Saturday so a big loop was adjusted to up and down the Bunnell Notch Trail. This trail follows wide grassy lanes filled with wildflowers and butterflies for a while...

IMG_9161aaa.jpg

IMG_9172aaa-1.jpg

IMG_9174aaa.jpg

IMG_9207aaa.jpg

IMG_9179aaa.jpg

Then the trail enters fine woods and begins to climb through thick moose maples. Here's an example of bark eating by moose...

IMG_9183aaa.jpg

My heart sank a little at the sight of the trailbed. Before the problems with the trail that runs up the west side of the mtn., the Bunnell Notch Trail was among my very favorites. It was almost bushwacking, and it's wonderful moose habitat. I hiked it 3 times and saw moose each time.

Now it's the shortest route to a 4k peak so it gets tons of traffic. It's still a pretty hike through a beautiful area, but the feel is totally different.

IMG_9236aaa.jpg

at the junction with Kilkenny Ridge Trail...

IMG_9209aaa.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
along the stretch KRT south of the juction with the Cabot Trail...

IMG_9202aaa.jpg

lots of asters...

IMG_9235aaa.jpg

we moved this little being out of the trailbed...

IMG_9230aaa.jpg

moose bed in the ferns right along the trail...

IMG_9217aaa.jpg

view from a ledge toward Terrace Mtn.

IMG_9218aaa-1.jpg

view from the cabin area...

IMG_9228aaa.jpg

a young cow moose roadside at Pinkham Visitor Center...

IMG_9247aaa.jpg

more detailed trail conditions here: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=5559

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Nice report. I think I saw that moose in Jackson. Gave me the same look!

Need to do a better job of trail-working ahead of Becca. I'm working on the McCrillis Trail tomorrow.

I spotted my first "trail" moose ever on the Unknown Pond Trail only a few days ago! Very exciting to see!