Mt Hale via Hale Brook Trail - 6/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: June 15, 2014

Trail Conditions: Hale Brook Trail was in great shape lower down, but was pretty slick and muddy in places higher up. That said, Hale was in a cloud and it drizzled on and off the whole time. It was currently wet. The trail needs a little TLC to be great; some of the water bars, while still functional in light to moderate rains, would need further clearing to work in heavier rains. There were also a few blowdowns, one fresh and leafy, but none proved at all bothersome. Crossings were easy.

Special Equipment Used: We brought poles but we didn't really "need" them. Brought bug spray but didn't really need it either, thanks to the cool, damp conditions.

Comments: Steff wanted to do something quick and easy so we'd have time to go mountain biking this afternoon on her new wheels, and since she needed Hale -- and we have other plans that will include Zealand -- we hiked it. Initially I wanted to take the old fire warden's trail, but again, wanting to compress time, we opted for the 2.2 mile HBT instead of 3.5 mile FWT. Hale is Hale, not a favorite of mine. And, Grid-wise, I already have it for June, but any day hiking is better than any day not. Simple. Making it the destination and going up and back via the same trail were both firsts, plus it was fun, cool temps, good exercise, met some nice folks, etc.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH

Last edited: