Mt. Huntington W. Peak 3393'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerDoc

Reaction score
Team Bushwa decided to bag a peak seldom visited in winter. We left Hancock Notch trail just before the first major water crossing on a bearing of 136 degrees. About 2 hours to the summit. 3/4 mile and 1200' elevation so there was some steep to deal with. For the most part we avoided the cliffs/ice and only had to manage thick sticks and heavy tree snow. Footing OK for the most part. Walked right up to the register which is a painted red small Nalgene bottle upside down suspened by orange parachute cord. Knocked off the ice and signed in. The signers go back to 1988... the deans of peakbagging. We were only the second group in winter however. Nice views of the Hitchcocks. When is someone with GPS going to climb all the NH 3000' and publish the coordinates?

This is where I get "old" school, I've never used a GPS on a 3k peak, only map, compass, and altimeter. The small group of folks I do 3's with are of the same mind, no GPS allowed. I know the GPS is probably the wave of the future for these peaks, but for us, we would rather rely on the same tools that the folks who have previously finished the list have used. I don't think giving out GPS coordinates to these peaks is a good idea.

I have never used a GPS, only the tools you mentioned. And I have become quite good at them. However, I don't think the USGS maps are all that accurate. Besides, how many times have you come to a flat summit and looked around at several small bumps to find a register? The problem is that maps and GPS is not too accurate for elevation. I know of several peaks with more than 1 register, such as Middle Whitcomb, East Huntington, and Squaw's Bosom. Do you routinely find all of the registers to sign in to or just be glad to get one of them. How about Mt. Carr? Did you go to all 3 bumps and look for registers or just get to the fire tower site and call it a day? See how it gets complicated? I still say lat. and long. coordinates will be needed. Since I do not own a GPS, I am probably not the one to do this project. But it will be done.

For me part of the "fun" is looking for the register! Even though I may spend an extra 30 minutes or more searching around, I don't mind at all. It's an inexact venture, an exercise in self reliance. I want it to be "complicated". I think that someone posting their GPS routes to 3k summits is a bad idea, it would take the adventure and route finding aspects out of the trip. With GPS routes set out, it would become a trail type hike, not a bw in the true sense.

HikerDoc said:
When is someone with GPS going to climb all the NH 3000' and publish the coordinates?
Not in the short term, but it will happen. It will either happen from one person wanting to 'make a name' for himself, of from hundreds of people publishing one or two, someone publishing a list, and a googling of the list.

Google on "GPS waypoint database" See how many places are collecting them.

It won't be long before map& compass skills will go the way of slide rule skills... Or like the kid who didn'T know how to dial a rotary phone.

Pete_Hickey said:
Not in the short term, but it will happen. It will either happen from one person wanting to 'make a name' for himself, of from hundreds of people publishing one or two, someone publishing a list, and a googling of the list.

Google on "GPS waypoint database" See how many places are collecting them.

It won't be long before map& compass skills will go the way of slide rule skills... Or like the kid who didn'T know how to dial a rotary phone.
Pete:

I hope that this list does not get published or that (it seems inevitable) it is delayed as much as possible. But, even if it's published how much difference will it really make? And in terms of what? I understand that it will have impact issues but I think that the 3k's will see a little more traffic regardless... there seems to be a little more interest as hiking becomes more interesting to people and as the 4K's get completely clogged up. Publishing GPS coordinates will contribute to impact but not necessarily result in it.

No matter what you still have thick, spruce crap to deal with and other weird things on the terrain. No matter what the 3ks simply won't generate enough interest... and also, most likely a lot of the people who are interested will shun the GPS anyway. Who really wants to do the 451 or the 770 (or whatever the number is) who isn't nuts to begin with? What good will putting a GPS in a raging lunatic's hand do? :D :D

I have a GPS simply because my father, who is a mad electrical engineer, bought me one. It's in my pack & without batteries. I have it in case of an emergency, but I haven't been able to figure out what that emergency is just yet because I'm fair with a map and compass. Ok, lousy but I can get myself out if I have to. Routes and exploration are what's fun fer me but for better or for worse I'm probably not as objective based as some people are. However, those who want the easiest route to say, Clough, are going to find an easy way regardless. I've also hiked with some people who use a GPS for fun and I didn't mind that either. It seems that we were both on the hike, I was using the map the were using a GPS, we both impacted the area (minimal) the same. Hopefully, people who hike the 3K's do it with ethical constraint and consideration.

Hikerdoc: Sorry to derail yer thread. Nice Trip Report. Fluffy and I are hoping to get to Huntington soon. Has anyone ever considered parking at Kancamangus Pass and going in to Huntington from there?

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
It's already been done. As I've alluded to before, I've already geo-referenced my mountains database (which includes the 3k peaks) but you all know I won't be the one to share it :D

every time we revisit this issue, I get nervous...

spencer

and yes, great report, Doc!

spencer said:
It's already been done. As I've alluded to before, I've already geo-referenced my mountains database (which includes the 3k peaks) but you all know I won't be the one to share it :D

every time we revisit this issue, I get nervous...

spencer

and yes, great report, Doc!
You've done it though! And now some thief in the night is gonna steal it from yer undiewear draw and post it on the net.... with your name on it! And then Petey is gonna come git ya!

:D

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
Who really wants to do the 451 or the 770 (or whatever the number is) who isn't nuts to begin with?

-Dr. Wu
A truer statement has never been spoken on this Board!!

dr_wu002 said:
And then Pete is gonna come git ya!

Wu... When you post a link to a site that isn't yours, you should be careful. See. That link now has me (and the axe) with clothes on. I could just as easily have taken all the clothes off, and you would have been banned for posting a picture of an ugly naked man..... You owe me. I'll take (some of) the clothese back off tonight.

Oh... and if I'm not fully clothed when you click, klear your kache.