Mt. Isolation route options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhbos

Reaction score
I would like to summit Mt. Isolation soon. I will do the hike with at least one other person and so can spot a car if needed. The more I look at my hiking map the more possible route options I see. Wondered if other, more experienced hikers had an opinion on the following possible ways to summit Isolation?

Starting on route 16 near Glen Ellis Falls and going up Glen Boulder to Davis Path to Isolation but would prefer not to return the same way. Therefore wanted to do one of the following:

1. Exit via the Rocky Branch trail to Rt 16
2. Stay on the Davis Path until we reach Rt-302 near Crawford Notch
3. Davis Path to Mt. Parker Trail to Mt. Landon Trail to central Bartlett.
4. Davis Path to Isolation Trail to Dry River Cut-off to Mizpah Cut-off to Crawford Path.
5. Davis Path to Lake of the Clouds, down Crawford Path to Crawford Notch.
6. Davis Path to Lake of the Clouds, down Ammonoosuc Ravineto Base Road.

All of the above ideas routes are in the 13 to 17 mile range and any thoughts from the VFTT crew would be much appreciated.

You'll find a recent Report of your #2 - including detours and spurs to the summits of Boott Spur, Davis and Stairs as well as Isolation - by SteveHiker, titled "Soft Corinthian Leather" (read it to see why). A great hike, but long and you'll need lots of water.

Amicus - Thanks for pointing me in the direction of SteveHiker's report. I just read it and it sure sounds like a great hike. I am leaning towards either hike two or three listed above.

I day-hiked Isolation on the Rocky Branch both ways and did some miserable bushwhacking, so it's OK if you have to go that way but you can find more scenic routes. I'd put in a pitch for #3, which will give you, weather willing, some superb views up into Crawford Notch from the open ledges of the Davis Path. Going "over the hump" notch-to-notch (Pinkham to Crawford) has some appeal for me.

Waumbek said:
I day-hiked Isolation on the Rocky Branch both ways and did some miserable bushwhacking, so it's OK if you have to go that way but you can find more scenic routes.

I concur w/ Waumbek. I could not find the Isolation Trail junction with the Davis Path in Mid May or so of 2006. I have some GPS coordinates of about where the junction is (as well as some other useful information) if you would like them. If you have Garmin Mapsource I can give you the route of my whole hike. PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the GPS offer Paradox but I am just hiking with a map and compass don't have a GPS yet. I read a recent trip report that SteveHiker posted and he mentioned that the there is now a trail sign at the Davis Path/Isolation trail junction. His trip was just a couple of weeks ago and I would expect it to still be there. I will be coming down the Davis Path from where is intersects with the Glen Boulder Trail and so if that junction sign is missing I will still be fine. Thanks for your helpful comments.