Mt Jefferson Caps Ridge/Castle Trail Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nice idea and the views are great. BUT, The Link is an awful trail. Lots of roots and dangerous hollows in between just waiting to grab an ankle. You really have to like variety to be willing to put up with the section on The Link.

I've done the loop twice, so I must be a little crazy.

I've done that Link section twice and I don't remember it being THAT bad. But my memory is pretty selective and even hiking a rough trail is better than sitting in the office. I do remember the section of the Link going up the west wall out of Castle Ravine as being really nasty.

Here is another thread regarding this topic
Previous thread

Last edited:
I've done the entire Caps Ridge and Castle trails but never as a loop that included the Link. Both trails are great hikes and could also be done as a longer loop by spotting a car at each trailhead.

Think of the Caps Ridge trail and the Castle trail as two sides of a triangle meeting at the top of Jefferson. The Cornice trail connects them on a line above treeline. The Link connects them below treeline starting on the Caps Ridge below the 1st "Cap" and ending on the Castle Trail just below the 1st "Castle". The Castle Trail starts on rte 2 west of Lowe's store

I have done the loop several times. The use of the Link allows you to get all the views from the Castles without having to do the entire trail. The Link is defintely not a trail to run on, as mentioned by others, you are stepping from root to root in spots. To make it a more hospitable trail would require a major gash along a steep slope.

Most people tend to do the Link at the end of the day after coming off of a long stretch of above treeline hiking. Its real easy to get dehydrated during that long stretch and there really isnt any water until at least half way across the Link. I think that contributes to its poor reputation. On the other hand if you did the Link first, I suspect that coming down the Caps would be just as tiring.

Ridge of the caps

Last August I went up to the summit of Jefferson via the Ridge of the Caps trail. It is the shortest way to get up to Jefferson and the shortest way I can see to get up to the Presidential Ridge, excepting to take the cog rail or a car up.

This trail starts at a remote trailhead off of an unpaved road. We were able to drive it in a small car, but it can be a little rough in places. You start off in a boral forest, but soon, maybe 3/4 of a mile you will reach some large boulders on the right with your first great views of what lies ahead. Shortly after this you will intersect another trail. If you continue up the Caps Trail, you will find yourself above treeline, climbing somewhat steeply, over or along the "caps" (which we call "cobbles" in the Adirondacks). These are rocky outcroppings. You will find the trail marked by cairns topped with chunks of white quartz that caughes the sun's light and appears very bright.
There is no water to be counted on, not in the summer at least. I did find some water near the beginning of the trail, just at the "wet place in the trail, where a bog bridge has been built to facilitate crossing this spot. I went off trail to the right and filtered water from a hole in the ground. Otherwise, bring lots of water!

I really enjoyed this trail- but then I haven't seen any trails in the State of New Hampshire that I haven't liked. The amount of work needed to improve and maintain these trails is tremedous- I know, I did trail work myself.

Happy Trails!