Mt Kearsarge (S) Winslow Tr 3/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creag Nan Drochaid

Reaction score
The actual beaten path on this route soon leaves the summer trail for the powerline, which it follows all the way to the summit. Deeper snow, no limbs in the way, and no ice chunks and broken branches falling from the trees in the NW wind. Appear to be some blowdowns on the summer trail anyway.
Firm old fine-grained snow that packs very well, but the deep drifts mean bare-booters have postholed whenever they get off track. By afternoon when the sun turned the snow soft and slushy, tracks were all over the powerline clearing. Trail needs grooming.:)
Three fir trees on powerline since last windstorm. I reported to local police so as to have them removed before they snap the wire in the next blow. Room to walk around them, and no arcing.
Given the powerline cut climbs at 70 degrees in one place and 45 degrees in others, MSR snowshoes are a very good idea. I climbed in crampons, which I found essential. Nylon trousers good for the descent. Poles helpful.
Crampons also helpful on rime ice on summit rocks, though that softened in the afternoon.