MT. Madison?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I'm looking to get back to the Whites again at the end of this month; most likely Saturday. I was looking into doing Mt. Madison. I'd like to do it via the Daniel Webster Scout Trail but I won't be staying at Dolly Copp. So, my plan is to hit the Great Gulf Trail then jump on the Osgood Trail to the summit. I also plan to return via the same route.

I'm sure some of you on this board have done this route, any suggestions or can you recommend a better route? How would you rate these two trails? I'm estimating about a total of 8 hours hiking time R.T. would this be accurate? Finally is there a trailhead right off of RT. 16 for the Great Gulf Trail?

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

There is a trailhead for the Great Gulf trail on Rt 16. It's a big parking area above the suspension bridge, there are signs on Rt 16. You can also park at the hiker spots at Dolly Copp, just past the trailhead if you want to go straight up the Daniel Webster Scout trail.

Osgood and Scout trail will have snow and ice, and both are very exposed. I haven't seen the forecasts for the weekend yet, but be prepared. Coming up from the north is more protected if that's a concern.

-dave-

Thanks again Dave. I didn't realize there were parking spots for hikers at Dolly Copp. I really did want to go up the Daniel Webster Scout Trail to begin with, so your post was most helpful.

:)

Bring snowshoes, you are likely to encounter at least a foot of new snow from this latest winter storm even at the beginning. Base of Mt Washington is reporting 12 inches of new snow with almost 28 inches on the summit. Full winter gear is recommended for the Presidentials.

Here's a trip report from a hike last summer up Webster Scout. It's pretty unrelentingly steep for a stretch, it might be very interesting with all the snow and ice.

-dave-

I agree with Dave,
in these conditions I'd probably go Valley way, more likely to be somewhat packed and is much more moderate.

At the start of my Presi Traverse last weekend we used the Pine Link Trail. It had quite a few trees fallen over the path but besides that it was quick and steep for the most part. With all the recent snowfall I would advise you to take a longer, less steep trail such as the Scout trail. Good luck and have fun!

-Tomahawk

I did this hike this summer from dolly copp. The trail is pretty moderate to steep, especially at the end of the trail, where there is a steeper rockslide section. I would recommend going up this trail, but descending going down the AT on Osgood ridge and then taking the great gulf trail back to dolly copp.