Mt Marcy, 2/2/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester Jake

Reaction score
Friday, shortly before midnight, four of us attempted Mt Marcy...DenaliDave and Jason were veterans, but it was the first winter attempt for IndigoSkies and myself. The heavy rains were slowly turning to snow as we struck out onto the Van Hoevenburg trail just after midnight. We opted to go through the night to catch the sunrise from the summit...but it was not to happen. By dawn, we were in crampons and stuggling through total whiteout conditions above treeline. Even the route stakes placed every hundred feet was not working out to well. By 7am, DenaliDave wanted to turn back...so we were denied the summit. On our way day, we could discern that the storm was lifting off the sumit (of course), no doubt allowing the mass of Saturday hikers to summit later that day. Although denied the summit sunrise, it was still a great hike with great friends, especially through the snowy night. Some of us are planning a return in March before the official start of spring to attempt her summit once more.

Thats a cool time to start. I was just talking to someone about that.
Good call on the turn around. White-outs on Marcy are no fun.

Yeah, the headlamp trek up through the night was awesome! Though i've done a lot of full moon hikes, this was my first thru-the-night with headlamps experience...i gotta say, i'm hooked! The heavy rain friday froze to ice as the temps dropped, making everything glitter in the light of headlamps, then moving through the falling snow was really cool. For the most part, we kept a fair distance between us (just enough to see the light of the person ahead and keeping a eye on the light of the person behind) joining up to chat or snack. I hope to go back early March as i have a score to settle with the mighty Tawahas...

Cool Stuff, Jake!

Sounds like a fun hike. Maybe you, Fishercat and I will try some of that on Franconia Ridge in June? Good judgement turning back when you did. No shame in that. Disappointing I'm sure, but the mountain will always be there.

KDT

No shame in turning back on Little Marcy....actually I feel its the best assessment point, sheltered and good view of the summit (or obscured summit).

Have been surprised quickly on the summit of Marcy by hail and lighting, no easy way down when you are up high above treeline. Marcy is the type of mountain that, when things are great they are great, when they go bad, they turn fast. Guess that goes for just about any above treeline stretch, except with Marcy, so close to Lake Colden, stuff lifts off the lake and you don't see it until its opon you. I've experienced this once on Marcy, and seen its ominous progression from other points in the High Peaks...maybe others here can explain the phenomenon...I just like to call it "the Black Cloud of Colden".... :eek:

Not to worry, she'll still be there.

Last edited:
A few of us are hoping to return for a repeat friday-saturday March 1st Marcy summit push if the weather holds out. A summit sunrise would be awesome...though i'd do it all over again for the unique thrill of hiking through the night with great friends. And YES! getting together for something in the Franconia mountains would be great...just say when and where and i'll see what i can work out. FisherCat and i have been toying with a night hike near our adopted Osseo Trail on Mt Flume (NH)...

Best of luck on the return visit. I'm looking forward to your trip report.