My matches are waterproof

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama Jack

Reaction score
But my striker doesnt seem to be. This has happened more than once, Try as I might to pack my matches away good & dry, if its pouring or I have gotten soaked it seems the striker always gets damp to the point of being useless.

Can anyone tell me their tricks for dry matches AND STRIKERS?

Use stike anywhere matches. :cool:
Or better yet, a lighter.
Solves the problem.

side note: I use clear nail polish for waterproofing matches.

When I buy matches, I cut off a piece of the striker that's on the box and put that in a waterproof container with some of the matches.

Waterproof matches are a sham, they never work. Go with a lighter and a set of regular matches as a backup.

I use a lighter under most circumstances, but I always carry two those little $2.00 orange plastic match cases which are virtually indestructable Here

One is in my first aid kit and one is in my "essentials" kit that always goes in my backpack.

My boxes are about 15 years old and still working fine. They can hold about 15-20 matches along with a bit of striking paper taken from matchbooks. Everything stays dry inside (great paddling) and I don't have to pay the price of waterproof matches or bother to weatherproof my "strike anywhere's" in paraffin.

The only maintenance I have to do is sand the outside striker bar every few years to remove a dark greenish/brownish rust, though I usually don't use the outer stiker bar, as a rule.

Good luck

Rick said:
but I always carry two those little $2.00 orange plastic match cases which are virtually indestructable Here

One is in my first aid kit and one is in my "essentials" kit that always goes in my backpack.
Good luck

They also make great stocking stuffers or gifts in Easter baskets.

I always carry 2 lighters in little 3"x3" doubled ziploc bags with solid fuel tablets in there too. Both are in an Aloksak dry bag that contains my first aid kit too. (If you can call 8 advil, 1 roll of gauze and a roll of tape a first aid kit...)

Beware of lighters

Are lighters waterproof? Drop a Bic lighter in a brook, let it dry, then it works. Great.

On the other hand, when it's pouring rain, and YOU are soaked, and yoru hand is real wet, the lighter may not light. A few drops of rain on it, and it will not work.

If you only carry a lighter, make sure you have one that does not depend on a flint to produce the spark.

Also, lighters will not work when it is too cold out, unless you keep them warm. Lighters suffer from the same problems that canister stoves do, although lighters can be warmed faster and easier than a stove.