Nash Stream Forest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was about 4 years ago so it may be better now, but I climbed Sugarloaf in December and pretty close to the start of the trail I veered left onto a snowmobile trail/old logging road at a junction that wasn't well marked. The trail goes straight here, so watch carefully for markers. There is a maze of old logging roads in this area and you can follow them pretty close to the summit, but after that, it turns into a fairly difficult bushwhack up some cliffs and ledges that you hope you don't have to come back down. The trail is a much easier option. Beautiful views from the top, especially in winter.

cantdog said:
I look forward to the opening of the gate. Anyone familiar with Magalloway and its road access? I would like to make a weekend of it sometime.
If you don't trust the description in the White Mtn Guide you can use
http://www.nhdfl.org/fire_towers/tower_magalloway.htm
As usual this road should be avoided in the spring. Brave hikers used to drive it in winter, the new master plan makes this illegal but I don't know if it's enforced.

There is no reason you can't get your 3 peaks in a weekend, camp for free in the NF or at the bucolic but overpriced Deer Mtn Campground in Pittsburg.