Need 5-7 day backpacking suggestion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks

so after looking into all this i believe i will be ending up in south carolina......the temp is just gonna be too chilly and i cannot invest in that kinda gear.....its sad too cause it looked liek it would work at bryce less the temp......so i am lookin at the foothills trail in SC......thanks for all your resources though kept me occupied when i shoulda be doing productive work...haha...thanks

July b-day hike

Hi all,
Good topic and apropos for me! In late July, I hit the big, bad, 4-oh. I have a tradition of hiking on my b-day for the last 12 or so yrs, in the last 5, i have spent it in the Dacks doing a 6-day backpack. Before that, a mix of VT and NH. This being the big 4-oh, I thought I would expand outside of new england and do something out west, in the same range (5 nights, 6 days).

Ideally, i would like something where i can pack in 6-10 mi, setup camp, and then day hike out of a basecamp for the duration, then hike out. I'm not into hauling 40# over mountains any more, i had an ACL replacement on my left knee 6 yrs ago. i'm cool with exploring anything, mountains, falls, lakes, land formations not found in N.E., etc.

suggestions? Also, where else on the web can you suggest I checkout for ideas?

thanks a ton!

ADK_jc

Yosemite

In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than Yosemite. The waterfalls, the backcountry, the sheer beauty of the place... it is a trip you will remember for a lifetime. Just be sure to get out of the valley where all of the tourists are and you will find adventure and solitude.

ADK-jc,
I reach a similar milestone at a similar time. If I had 3 wishes one would be to do what you're doing, in the North Cascades. My Dad still does that every summer (hopefully I'll do what he does at his age!!) and typically does just that: goes in 6-10 miles and dayhikes in a spoke-y fashion from there. Lake Chelan is where he goes. There is a great BBS out there called nwhikers.net, very similar to VFTT, that may give you good ideas. Enjoy (condolences???)

Weatherman