Need ideas for winter Protection, Care and Treatment of facial skin, hands, lips/eyes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
What do folks use to protect and treat their facial skin and hands from the cold, wind and abrasive surfaces of clothing, balaclavas and face masks during winter hiking? You know, like skin care products before or after a hike? How about lip protection and care? What about sunlight, snow glare on the eyes? I don't want to begin looking older than I am, all worn out, rough skinned and wrinkled more than necessary due to exposures acquired during winter hiking excursions. Any ideas, please share . thanks all.:) I tried to find stuff on the subject in the search but came up empty handed. Guess I am not too good at that yet. Thanks for any links or answers.

Last edited:
What do folks use to protect and treat their facial skin and hands from the cold, wind and abrasive surfaces of clothing, balaclavas and face masks during winter hiking? You know, like skin care products before or after a hike? How about lip protection and care? What about sunlight, snow glare on the eyes? I don't want to begin looking older than I am, all worn out, rough skinned and wrinkled more than necessary due to exposures acquired during winter hiking excursions. Any ideas, please share . thanks all.:) I tried to find stuff on the subject in the search but came up empty handed. Guess I am not to good at that yet. Thanks for any links or answers.
Eucerin is my choice.I apply it all over my face before a hike,it makes me look crazy but its all good.The cream from the tub,not the squeezy container.....

Yeah, Aquaphor. That stuff is magic. Doubles as a lubricant under bandaids placed over hotspots to prevent blister formation.

I agree with the above. What I've noticed to be really problematic is how dry my face, hands and arms get from/while sitting in the office five days a week? Any suggestions for that? (I know, but I can't quit my job). Does hydration help? I know that lip licking isn't good but dislike chap stick.

I like Carmex for chapped lips. Comes in a small, round container, as well as a little tube. It's also inexpensive.

Great ideas from everyone. Thanks. Any more thoughts out there? What about eye protection from snow glare? Is there any type of sunglasses I should be looking for?

Glacier glasses are recommended for extended above-treeline travel over snow - to reduce the chance of sunburning your retina. Usually I use either ski goggles or sunglasses as I don't have proper glacier classes. I know Hiker Ed uses them extensively, and I believe SilverFox (Mark) does as well.

Tim

I use overglasses, as photo-grey glasses tend to turn very dark in cold weather, even in low-light. Coccoons are an excellent brand. WalMart also carries a version.

Glacier glasses are recommended for extended above-treeline travel over snow - to reduce the chance of sunburning your retina. Usually I use either ski goggles or sunglasses as I don't have proper glacier classes. I know Hiker Ed uses them extensively, and I believe SilverFox (Mark) does as well.

Tim
Will the yellow tinted ski goggles work?

I use overglasses, as photo-grey glasses tend to turn very dark in cold weather, even in low-light. Coccoons are an excellent brand. WalMart also carries a version.

I use these too; my glasses don't fit under my glacier glasses which is okay if I am wearing them for an extended period and don't have to read. I especially appreciate keeping the wind from drying my eyes out. Some people wear sunglasses more than others. I rarely use them for sun unless in bright snow or water. I wear them for wind when biking.