Nepal in April

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burg

Reaction score
Hey folks,
My wife and I are headed to Nepal in April. We'll be trekking from Lukla up to EBC and then to Gokyo via the Cho La pass and returning via Renjo La pass. Then we have a few days to spend in Kathmandy/Bhaktapur (also a night in Nagarkot and walk to Bhaktapur if we have enough time). I'm just interested in any suggestions anyone has regardng the trip. Great places to eat or drink in Kathmandu/Bhaktapur? Gear shops or souvenir shops in Thamel? Items you took along and were glad you did or didn't and really wish you had? Money changing problems?
Also we'll be changing plances in Dehli and may have to claim our baggage there (we have a 10 hour layover), if we don't plan to leave the airport do we need an Indian transit visa? I am getting conflicting advice on this.
Would love to hear anything you all have to offer.

Thanks

I had a fun trip to Kathmandu once but don't recall any specific places by name. I picked up some Russian ice fifi's and some cams at some shop in a westernized district. I'll go back but after kids when I can visit for a month or more.

Have fun!

Have fun!

The little shops in Thamel are amazing. Little places the size of a phone booth with neat stuff. Get some custom embroidery - the work is amazing, and they can do it very quickly.

Take in at least one rooftop bar (there are many). Of course the Budonath Stupa and the Syambonath Stupa (monkey temple). Touristy, but you have to see them. Try to visit the modern part of town around sunset. Seeing the big giant fruit bats unfold from the trees and fly away is a treat!

Enjoy the flight into Lukla, one of the world's most dangerous airports. At least the runway is paved now (it was loose dirt when I was there).

On the walk:

Go shopping in Namche Bazaar. Note that the folks in Kathmandu expect to haggle over prices, but as you go up into the country, like in Namche, the price asked is the intended price, and some consider haggling to be poor taste.

Try to catch the horns blowing at dawn at Tengboche Monastery.

Don't stay in Pheriche if you can avoid it; dirty and dusty place, very bleak.

Try to take in Kala Pattar while you're at EBC. It really has a much better view than EBC, because it's up the hill across the valley from Everest.

Spend as much time as you can getting to know the people. That was the most valuable part of my experience.

Thanks for the reponses so far. Ininerary does not include Pheriche (Dingboche instead), does include Kala Pattar (that part of the trip is Lobuche to EBC to Gorak Shep, Gorak Shep to Kala Pattar to Lobuche).
Happy to hear any one else's advice/experiences.

I did the same trek as you and included an ascent up Island Peak to finish it off. As TCD said, definitely get some custom embroidery...we had some t-shirts made pertaining to the trek itself. Namche is a great place to spend the night, go shopping and get on the Internet! One thing I would recommend..bring more cash than you think you'll need because we actually would have bought more/ate more during the trek but were short of money...also you need cash to tip the porters...tip them well when you consider the measly amount of money they earn each day. We participated in a ritual ceremony inside the Tengboche Monastery that took the trek to a higher level conciousness.

Nepal is definitely on my 'have to do again' list. You will never forget the trek, the beauty of the mountains, buddhist culture, kindness of everyone...I could go on!

You won't need an Indian Visa but if you wish to leave the transit (terminal area) you will not be allowed back in without one.

The transit area is bleak. Enjoy your ten hour layover. There is nothing there so bring it with you. Ask about the business lounge. Might be something to consider.

You will have to claim your luggage and retag it in Delhi. Not a fun task.

I am guessing that you are transferring to Indian Airlines for the DEL-KTM segment?

You might guess that I have little to say that is positive about the Indira Gandhi International Garb ... er ...Airport.

Thanks RR. We are definitely looking forward to this trip of a lifetime, Trying to pack in a lot and still take the time to experience the local culture. Had already planned to bring a little more money than recommended. Better to have extra than not enough.

JimC - Thanks for the info. Air India from DEL-KTM. Same thing? Was the Eaton Hotel there when you went through? We were hoping to spend the night there.

Last edited:
Air India and Indian Airlines are two quite separate airlines but at least they both suck!

If you lv the transfer area at the airport (bleak area, separate from the rest of the airport), you will have to buy an entry visa (because you are leaving the transfer area and entering India). The visa will show you entering India and this will allow you to exit India. No price discount!

If not too late to change, I've had good luck going through LHR and connecting to KTM through BAH or AUH using Gulf Air or Emerates or whatever. Anything to avoid DEL.

Last edited:
Gulf Air used to be good. They have recently discontinued flights from Bahrain to Kathmandu. In addition, they cancelled our flights and didn't notify us. This happened twice, in 2011 and again this year. We're flying Qatar from London to Doha to Kathmandu. Qatar is rated five star. Good luck with your flights and have a great time in Nepal!

Thanks for the info. Unable to change my flights at this point. FYI, not sure when everyone when through DEL, but looks like there were some major renovations in 2010. Some pics and info here. Looks nice enough. They also have a transit hotel. I have emailed and there is no need to get a transit visa to stay there. The guy also indicated bags will get checked all the way through. Hopefully this is all true and as good as it looks and the airlines are having a good day :).