Neversink bridge ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big D

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying Lone and Rocky this Sunday and was wondering if the bridge had been replaced over the Neversink near Denning? Also wondered what the stream crossings might be like.
Thanks
dale

This is only a guess, but I imagine the waters will be pretty high all weekend. The Catskill streams and brooks have been very high all "winter" due to the bizarre weather. There was a lot of rain here in New Paltz last night and this morning and I imagine it was about the same up there. There may be still more rain tomorrow as well.

At this site you can click on various Catskill creeks to see about how high they are:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/rt
I don't think the Neversink is on there, but you can get a pretty good idea from other flows in the area.

You might be better off climbing over Peekamoose to get to Lone and Rocky, even though that route isn't the easiest either. Good luck w/ whatever you choose.

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks Matt I did find a site for the Neversink at Claryville http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?01435000 which I think is a ways downstream and it just gives the waterflow not the depth but it still looks like it is cranking. I know that the scary log over the stream washed a few months ago and I don't know if it had been replaced. I have 3 friends that are getting close to finishing their 35s and they all need these. Every time I have done them it has been a long day or an overnighter. Oh well we'll see what happens, I'll post whatever we end up doing.
dale

Are you talking about this bridge that this gang built this summer?

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/bridge2.jpg

Then the heavy fall rains left it like this in the fall.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/bridge6.jpg

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/bridge7.jpg

Big D said:
I know that the scary log over the stream washed a few months ago and I don't know if it had been replaced.

It's extremely rare for work to be done off season. Not only that, but with the increasing length of the span, I suspect that a replacement is not a trivial task. That last bridge took the crew 2 weeks to build.

Pete
That looks like the bridge but I bet the Neversink is a lot higher now than in the first photo. That's too bad that 2 weeks of hard work can be wiped out by Mom Nature in a weekend. I wonder what the best fix for the bridge would be. I think this is 3rd time that has washed out in the last few years. The bridge in the photo doesn't look as scary as the log that was there last year, it was a lot of fun with an inch or 2 of snow and ice on it. I butt dragged it the last time.

Big D said:
Thanks Matt I did find a site for the Neversink at Claryville http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?01435000 which I think is a ways downstream and it just gives the waterflow not the depth but it still looks like it is cranking.

Actually, it does have the depth too. You just have to scroll a little further down the page. The line on both graphs tends to look about the same anyhow. Claryville is where the east and west branches of the Neversink meet, so it's gonna tend to be high there. But, you can still get an idea of the surge created by the recent rain.

Anyway, hope your friends get an opportunity to climb those two at some point. If you don't mind large groups, there is a 3500 Club hike to Lone and Rocky scheduled for Sunday, 3/19.

Matt

Big D said:
I wonder what the best fix for the bridge would be. I think this is 3rd time that has washed out in the last few years.
The big problem, is its span. It was 47 feet when they built it this summer, and it widened somewhat. It would either need a HUGE solid island in the middle, or a complete change of design... IE a suspension bridge.

Pete
That would be quite a lot of work, you almost wonder if it would be easier to move the trail to another crossing although I think there is a lot of history there, I think the Denning Leanto used to be in that area.
Matt
One of the guys in the group needs Balsalm Cap so I think we will go in from Moon Haw Rd and see if we can't do Lone and Rocky from that side. They only need 4 or 5 more so they are getting peak bagging fever if you know what I mean. Its all fun
Dale

No, the bridge hasn't been replaced. It would be silly to fix it now, not only cause it's in the off-season as Pete mentions, is that it's not even spring yet where traditionally the water levels rise. (Assuming we get some decent snow soon).

I have heard that the NYNJTC/NY DEC are working on relocating the stream a bit further upstream

Yes, the leanto used to be on the side closer to Table before, right now there are just legal (marked) campsites further from the stream and the leanto has been moved all the way up Table but just below the 3500' level.

You can certainly do Rocky and Lone from MoonHaw, but you probably want to do a car spot if you go as far as Lone cause then you might as well continue to Table and go down to Peekamoose road. Harry K and I did this last weekend, took us 9.5 hours but we were also breaking trail and taking a lot of pictures.

Jay

Big D said:
Pete
That would be quite a lot of work, you almost wonder if it would be easier to move the trail to another crossing
Without knowing the area, I can't coment on that. All of my information about the bridge is second hand. I had nothing to do with building it, except for breeding one of the workers.

Pete_Hickey said:
Without knowing the area, I can't coment on that. All of my information about the bridge is second hand. I had nothing to do with building it, except for breeding one of the workers.

Breeding? :D

Big D, it just got still more complicated. Ralph (Hermit) just posted some bad news-Buzz Friedel has closed the access to the route from his land. Fortunately, there is at least still the access from the state land on Moon Haw Rd.

Matt

Pete_Hickey I had nothing to do with building it said:
That doesn't sound right, but everything else sounds worse.
I read a report in the last month that the bridge was still there but not as a proper bridge, the logs were turned or maybe one was gone. Who ever it was said they shimmied across. Maybe on the 3500 site? It was raining this afternoon on Fir, and is raining harder now in the NW cats. Check the stream data before you go, that area can flood in a heartbeat.