New Boots - Can't Wear - How to

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
Question: If you had a brand new pair of boots you wore only three times and you wanted to sell them, how would you go about it? Have any of you tried Ebay? Craigs List? IME/Ragged? (I can't return them to the store as I got them direct from the manufacturer due to a defect in another model. I really like them except the toe box is too narrow and I'm sad about that.) Any tips would be really appreciated.

You're sure the manufacturer wouldn't take them back? Maybe if you ask nicely... :)

I'd probably try the craigslist route first, to see if there was any interest.

I'm interested to know as well how people are able to sell their used gear- I've got some stuff that's still in good shape that I don't need anymore.

Are they and all leather, traditional style boot? If so, could you have the toe-box punched out?

Wouldn't IME/Ragged charge a commission? BTW, the Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington, Vermont has a consignment section.

I'm interested to know as well how people are able to sell their used gear- I've got some stuff that's still in good shape that I don't need anymore.
You might do well selling moderately-used gear to newbies at a premium, experienced hikers may replace only one or two pieces a year unless they are real gear freaks but anybody with all-new gear is often treated as an incompetent idiot :)

On one hike I used for the first time a well-worn backpack that a friend bought at a yard sale, and spent the day answering questions about how well I liked it :)

I've had excellent luck selling boots on eBay that just didn't quite fit right - maybe 3 or 4 pairs? In a couple of instances actually got more than I paid for them. I always use Paypal as the payment mechanism - no hassles.

I've had excellent luck selling boots on eBay that just didn't quite fit right - maybe 3 or 4 pairs? In a couple of instances actually got more than I paid for them. I always use Paypal as the payment mechanism - no hassles.

Thanks, Kevin. When you listed did you set a minimum price? Are you writing me from Ireland?

Thanks, Kevin. When you listed did you set a minimum price? Are you writing me from Ireland?

Keep in mind Ebay and Paypal end up with about 10% of the sale price and you need to $hip the boots to the buyer. If you set a high minimum you'll discourage bidding. I'd say I've made out well on ebay 70% of the time, the other 30% were not worth the hassle. Having said that, the little experience I've had with CraigsList has been a bigger hassel, unless you just happen to connect with the right buyer very quickly.

Thanks, Kevin. When you listed did you set aYe minimum price? Are you writing me from Ireland?

Ellen - Yes. I believe there are two ways of setting a minimum - either explicity, or by a reserve. When you use a reserve, that amount is not displayed. Bids below the reserve are rejected, with a msg something to the effect of "reserve not met".

For shipping - I list an estimated amount, and figure the final shipping and handling once I know the zip code of the buyer.

And yes - am currently in Ireland on a hiking trip. Or as the locals put it - "hill walking". I go online each evening to post a few of my favorite pics of the day to a Facebook album, and check my favorite hiking BB's.

Chip - I think 10% is a bit high, but you might be right. As far as I'm concerned, it's the cost of doing business, and you factor that into your reserve price.

As for shipping - while you can include it in the sale price, I only made that mistake once. Now, I always keep it separate. eBay has a method of showing that in a clear manner to potential bidders.

Finally - I think Craig's List is great as a listing service (I bought my Lexus RX300 and Toyota Tacoma 4x4 based on listings) but I doubt I would ever buy something directly on that list. It's a great service if buyer and seller are in close promixity, but otherwise ... doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Are they and all leather, traditional style boot? If so, could you have the toe-box punched out?

At one time, Limmer's in Intervale could stretch parts of leather boots for a nominal fee; not sure if they still do that, but I am about to find out with a pair of Lowa leather boots that pinch towards the front.

I sold a pair of plastics years ago either through here or outdoors.org I just wanted enough cash to replace them with the next size up & I was working at an gear & clothing retailer so 60% covered it.

I haven't work there since..................... %$@* that means my boots are 13 or 14 years old:eek:

At one time, Limmer's in Intervale could stretch parts of leather boots for a nominal fee; not sure if they still do that, but I am about to find out with a pair of Lowa leather boots that pinch towards the front.

Yes, they still do, even in the extra-thick toe cap (I just called and checked on that last bit today). They usually leave it in the punch-out machine overnight, so either plan to stay in the area or have them mailed to you.

Yes, they still do, even in the extra-thick toe cap (I just called and checked on that last bit today). They usually leave it in the punch-out machine overnight, so either plan to stay in the area or have them mailed to you.

Thanks, TEO. Good to know that some things do not change through four generations. :)

I have sold boots through IME in North Conway. IIRC they gave me 60% cash, or I could have taken 70% store credit. My boots took about 2-3 months to sell.

I took the cash.

I believe at one time www.adkhighpeaks.com had a gear classified section (free!) on their forums. You might get lucky there.