New Favorite Toy in My Toybox: Karhu Army Skis + Fritschi AT Bindings = Permagrin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I ordered a set of the skies,bindings,skins and poles from Sportsman's Guide. They sent them UPS 2 day at no extra cost even though I didn't request it. The skis, etc appear to be almost brand new. No scratches in the bottoms or anything. The skins seem to have never been used at all. I think the skin setup if far superior than any other I have seen.
Now comes the question: To adjust the bindings for different size boots you have to move the heel part to a different set of holes. I tried pretty at pulling them straight out with no results.

Looks like Sportsman's Guide is sold out...are these the same ones?

http://store.colemans.com/cart/skis-swiss-army-p-1753.html

Those skis look similar though not identical, but the bindings are *NOT* the Fritschi AT bindings. They look more like an old cable tele binding. They might lock down at the heels like the old US military Ramer cable bindings. It doesn't look like there's a release mechanism. I wouldn't do that with somebody *else's* knees, much less my own.

Ok, I ordered a set of the skies,bindings,skins and poles from Sportsman's Guide. They sent them UPS 2 day at no extra cost even though I didn't request it. The skis, etc appear to be almost brand new. No scratches in the bottoms or anything. The skins seem to have never been used at all. I think the skin setup if far superior than any other I have seen.
Now comes the question: To adjust the bindings for different size boots you have to move the heel part to a different set of holes. I tried pretty at pulling them straight out with no results.

Once again kids, I would like help here. I am a really poor skier but I am willing to learn. How do I adjust these bindings? Since the source has dried up, I don't want to break them.

Once again kids, I would like help here. I am a really poor skier but I am willing to learn. How do I adjust these bindings? Since the source has dried up, I don't want to break them.

The part that secures the heel part to the bindings have threads on them. Try screwing them out.

The threaded part seems to be the fine adjustment. The threaded part sticks into holes in the plastic base and it appears that you would have to move the metal part to a different hole to do the coarse adjustment. I can't figure out how to get the metal piece out of the plastic.

The threaded part seems to be the fine adjustment. The threaded part sticks into holes in the plastic base and it appears that you would have to move the metal part to a different hole to do the coarse adjustment. I can't figure out how to get the metal piece out of the plastic.

The coarse adjustment part (With 5 Holes) is also threaded.

Elementary Dr. Watson,
Thank you very much for pointing out what should have been obvious to me. I will write it off to old age.

Following this thread has been interesting, and it was even more so when I saw this link on another forum today....I thought as people here were looking at inexpensive rigs, this was a very cool page...

(sorry about your eye mirabela)

Yeah, that page is a good resource. For what it's worth, this military ski is almost exactly the "Karhu Catamount," discussed under "Catamount Class Skis," down a bit from where your link brings one to, minus the fishscales. I find it quite versatile.

I too picked a $40 set from Sportsmans Guide a couple of years ago, with the Fritschi bindings and archaic poles. A friend got a set not long after but his have the same kind of cable bindings I learned to ski on in the 1960s...

What I don't have is boots to go with the skis. I was hoping my heavy old leather hiking boots would do it, but no. Modern AT boots are outta sight pricewise. I don't own a pair of plastic mountaineering boots, is that what I should get?

BTW, the military surplus magnesium snowshoes SG sells are very nice, too.

Until then my backcountry skiing will be the same as it's been for the past 30 years, on an ancient set of Trak skis, 3 pin bindings, and old style low duckbill leather XC shoes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ENOXdD8LI&hd=1

-Dana

What I don't have is boots to go with the skis. I was hoping my heavy old leather hiking boots would do it, but no. Modern AT boots are outta sight pricewise. I don't own a pair of plastic mountaineering boots, is that what I should get?

Plastic mountaineering boots are what to get if your goal is maximum comfort over distance, and an easy switch into snowshoes, crampons, etc.

Having said that, I recently scraped together $100 to buy a third-hand pair of proper modern AT boots ... and it's been like switching from the mail plane to a fighter jet. The difference in control on the downhill is vast.