New Gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jetboil

Haven't tried it out yet but just picked up a Jetboil and Companion cup at EMS club sale. Has anyone been using this nifty little stove? Is the companion cup useful? I usually use a separate cup for coffee and soup, etc. At $30 just for the cup I may return it if it's not necessary - saving the room, weight and cash for a different toy... :D

jetboil

I have a jetboil. Great little stove for boiling water. I figured the extra cup was kind of a waste as its more to carry and I figured the idea of the jetboil was simply to boil water for freeze dried stuff and not have a dish to wash. Then ya have to make room in your pack to carry it too. But its nice to know I don't have to buy a whole new rig if I smash the cup somehow. Hope you have fun with it.

Oh well...

I fell victim to my gearhead vices and picked up the SteriPen.*

It seems a rather neat toy. I'll give a fuller report unless I get felled by some nasty bug picked up on the trail. :rolleyes:

After months of daypacking, I put on my pack for my Pemi loop, and it gave me every excuse to shave ounces. The Steripen probably saves me 6oz. over my pump.

But (hanging head in shame)... I bought it because I thought it was a cool idea.

*One thing no one has mentioned about this gear: I'm a little freaked out by its appearance. The designers seemed to create a hybrid oddity that looks part iMac... part (ahem) "marital aid"... and part shop light.

Speaking of shaving ounces; I just bought a digital postal scale on Ebay. 0 - 50lbs., 0.2 oz. graduation -
for $25.00 delivered and insured.
The seller seems to have a supply, my winning bid was $7.50 and the rest was shipping and insurance,
if anyone else is interested. Search "Postal Digital Scale".

Now I can get some accurate weighs and make some informed decisions about what is and is not worth packing ! :D

New boots - Dunham Waffle Stompers
New headlamp - Petzl Tikka Plus
New poles - Komperdells