New hiking poles?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do NOT get poles which are held together by shock cords (like tent poles). They have a habit of "desectioning" as you try to remove them from mud! Very annoying, especially in light of the fact that I got them primarily to assist in rock-hopping around Adirondack mud-wallows.

Flicklock

No problems with them but a few observations:

I can get the flicklock to reliably grip about decimeter of pole section. The cam won't close above certain thickness and wont grip below certain thinness. The cam can be adjusted with a screwdriver so I've been able to set it so it works for me across a comfortable range.

If you are also going to use your poles for skiing- specifically releasing and engaging bindings- I recommend highly that you stay away from any twist lock design and get a flick-lock design.

I had trouble in all seasons with twist lock Komperdells loosening until they finally broke- twice (EMS replaced the first pair). My Leki twist locks do not seem to loosen, but they will compress and shrink if I use them to engage a 75mm binding. I bought of pair of BD flick locks on clearance and they are rock solid.

YMMV

Remix said:
My Leki twist locks do not seem to loosen, but they will compress and shrink if I use them to engage a 75mm binding.

This problem is likely to go away if you lubricate the expansion nuts as per my earler post (#14, this thread). I am able to put over half my weight on my poles (Leki, twist lock) with no problems.

I have also seen advice that the poles should be disassembled and cleaned (inside and outside of the tubes) about once a year.

Doug

I love my leki makalu's for hiking but skiing is out of the question.

Thanks Warren for your observations on the BD flicklock mechanism. Although I am not in need for new poles, the flicklock seems almost to good and simple to be true. Now, if I ever get the impulse to pick up another pair, say on sale, I'll be better informed.

I finally got tired of having the lower section of my poles collapse on me at the worse times. A very experienced hiker suggested that I drill a small hole through the lower section and put a pin in it. He suggested using a nail and peening over the end. I ended up using a cotter pin because I wanted to be able to undo it if I didn't like the result. A few wraps of duct tape over the cotter pins kept the ends from catching on anything. I used my modified poles all winter and couldn't be happier with the result.

Although I have taken them hiking, I mostly use the BD flicklock poles for skiing and snowshoeing. When skiing, the length will slip or change at times during the day, probably when I hit them hard. In order to minimize slipping, they have to set really tight, so opening and closing the flicklock takes a lot of force. If they are set to be easy to adjust, they are more likely to slip when skiing, but that is fine for snowshoeing and I am sure hiking. Mine are at least 8 years old, and have taken a lot of crashes skiing.

maineguide5
All in all I think you might like a pair of hiking poles. Though I seldom use them I like the option of taking them with me if I want.
You can always just take one and use it as a hiking stick.
I have also read that you lose up about 20-30% more energy using them which I used to quote more often..but I think when all is said and done things probably pretty much balance itself out.
So perhaps you use up energy and gain efficiency...I think a lot of that percentage stuff has to be taken "with a grain of salt"

Most likely it's easier on the knees which is a big vote in their favor.