New hiking poles?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineguide5

Reaction score
I have always just used a homemade wooden hiking staff over the years but I am wondering about going to hiking/treking poles, since so many have extolled their virtues. I understand you may gain 10-20% energy savings by using them, going from a biped to a quadriped......
What should I look for in a pair of hiking poles, and what brands do most seem to swear by. For info, I am 5' 4" tall, so don't need tall sizes. Thanks.

Just grab a pair of garage sale alpine ski poles and try them a bit to see if you like them. If you really like them, then consider getting adjustable length poles. I use the BD Flicklocks because I'm tired of the twisting lock mechanism slipping while skiing, but frankly, there's little difference in any of the hiking poles other than price and weight.

-dave-

Hiking poles

I have a pair from EMS (I have no affiliation with them) that were built by Komperdell. They are three piece with a nice synthetic, cushiony grip. They did not break the bank...I think were less than $70 when I purchased them a few years back. The lower section cracked on Tuckerman's last year but EMS repaired it for no charge.

Leki makes a lot of nice poles, but the price is a lot more and I am not sure if it is truly warranted.

Also, if you are into ultra light weight there are a lot of models in this realm too...thee is not too much weight difference between regular and light weight but the price difference can be substantial.

I have a few pairs of adjustable poles; they're pretty handy. Right now I'm using a Life-Link pair that I picked up cheaply a few years ago. Life link has a patented "ovalized" system that keeps the poles from slipping; seems to work pretty well. I recently picked up a cheap off brand back-up pair at a used sporting goods store for $28.95. If you decide you like adjustables, look around for a while and you can probably find a deal.

Weight Matters

My experience with the section poles is that if your weight is above "normal" they dont hold up well and collapse - usually at the most inoppertune moment. I use a pair of X-Country poles year round and they work fine.

I belive that there is considerable advantage in using anti-shock poles. I think you should spend the extra money for this feature. I've tried antishock poles side by side with non anti-shock and you wouldn't believe the difference when going down hill. They REALLY take the strain off the knees.

I'm so used to using poles, I feel naked without them. They really do make a big difference in reducing stress on the knees.

If you don't want to spend a ton, Sierra Trading Post consistantly has good deals on poles.

Trekking Poles at STP

Go for the Gold

Spare no expense!

You need titanium tipped, carbon fibre, self adjusting, shock absorbing poles with the built in GPS. These babies won't walk WITH you, they'll LEAD you!

Make sure you get those with the optional motor (lithium batteries) so that they can walk by themselves in case you get too tired of carying them.

If you're making fun of me I really don't appreciate it. If you can't contribute something constructive then don't contribute. Sarcasm is not contributing unless you explain yourself, which you haven't.

Capoken said:
If you're making fun of me I really don't appreciate it. If you can't contribute something constructive then don't contribute. Sarcasm is not contributing unless you explain yourself, which you haven't.

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

I'll share my recent experience. I bought a pair of MSR Denalis around the end of August last year and they just failed during a three-peak traverse a few weeks ago. They both began slipping constantly and then the bottom pieces just fell out. I sent the "remains" back to MSR and the best they would do is send me a new pair for wholesale (about $30). I took that offer since it was better than buying a new pair. These poles only cost about $55 or $60 to begin w/ so I guess you get what you pay for. I won't say I'm totally disatisfied, but I figured they'd last a little more than five months. Granted, I did put a beating on them in that time. We'll see how long the new pair lasts. I certainly don't want to start another round of MSR-bashing (I like my snowshoes) but I probably wouldn't recommend their poles based on my own experience. I know Lekis are pricier, but I've been told they last forever.

Matt

PS Oh, and I second David's idea of trying out cheap ski poles 1st. While I was waiting for the new pair from MSR, I used $4 Salvation Army specials, and they worked pretty well.

Hiking Poles on Sale

I've been using a pr of Leki anti-shocks for several yrs now. very nice poles but one of them keeps slipping and giving me trouble. soooo i started looking cuz you know me - gotta look for the deals. i just rec'd a pr i ordered from: guess where??? sierra trading post naturally! they are komperdells "titanals" and they are really really nice. they aren't anti shock but i went w/ these bec of their strength vs lite weight. they are 1/2 off $60-ish and well worth it. they also had some anti-shock ones for $40-ish which i debated getting.
here's the link for all the poles & stp is having an extra 20% off right now also so it really gets ya a great deal for some very nice poles:

here's the pr i got (they also have in men's):
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.98111/dept_id.L2~314/qx/product.htm

here's the page with all of 'em:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~314/qx/prod_list_display.htm

if you decide to get a pair of these, the ones i got do come with summer baskets. just be sure to read the description - some don't include the baskets but they have both summer and winter ones on sale also for a few bucks.

Re: Twist-lock poles slipping:

Lubricate the screws inside the expansion nuts with a bit of silicone grease. (Don't get any on the outside of the expansion nuts or the inside of the tubes.) Have had no trouble with them since it lubed them.

Doug

Capoken said:

c'mon dude! ol' pete is just havin' a bit o' canadian fun!! just look at his picture! lighten up! :) ;)

I don't leave home without 'em

Go for it. I had real problems with my knees until I started using poles. I have 3-piece twist lock poles. I've only had one accidentally collapse on my once, but if I was replacing them, I would go for something like the Flicklock which would be easier to lock if the poles are wet or icy.

My poles have the antishock springs, but IMO they're unnecessary. I've tried them both ways and have not found any benefit from them when descending. They also occasionally slip into anit-shock mode when climbing, which is annoying. It's a matter of preference, so you should try them out before buying. You may be able to rent a pair to try them out.

I think you are correct in saying you will become a more efficient hiker. I know when I come home from a hike and my arms are as tired as my legs that I was using my poles correctly to help me up the mountain.

It's like 4wd for hiking. I 1st tried poles on a b-pack 4 or 5 yrs ago and haven't looked back. I bring 'em everytime, be it a 2 week trip or dayhike. I had an ACL reconstruction 7 yrs ago, and while my surgeried knee's damn close to 100% they sure do add some peace of mind for me....especially heading downhill on scree w/a 70lb pack. I've got a pair of the Leki Antishock ones.....IIRC they're the Makalus - got 'em fairly cheap via E-Bay...in the neighborhood of $50'ish.

FWIW I like the anti-shock ones better myself. My bro uses straight (no springs) sticks and we've traded off - I end up grabbing mine back after a rest, once he's stuck 'em in the ground. :)

I bought a pair of 3-section non-antishock hiking poles from LL Bean (made by Leki) for $69 about 3-4 years ago and have had no problem. They've been great. I think it's key for the poles to have a carbide tip to ensure a good grab on rocks.

I see Target carries 3-section hiking poles made by Eddie Bauer for $19 per pole. I haven't personally used this brand but one of my hiking partner's has had his Target/Eddie Bauer poles for 4 years with no issues.

I use a pair of Komperdell High Mountain Sport non-shock absorbing that I got from Sierra Trading Post for I think $34 or $43. The first time I used them hiking Algonquin the tip got stuck and the botton extention piece bent but not badly enough to prevent opening or closing. I have also lost both baskets (within the first three hikes). A bad start but since then they have been OK. I think that I'll switch to a pair of nice ski poles with a larger basket after these give up the ghost.

catskillclimber said:
I use a pair of Komperdell High Mountain Sport non-shock absorbing that I got from Sierra Trading Post for I think $34 or $43. The first time I used them hiking Algonquin the tip got stuck and the botton extention piece bent but not badly enough to prevent opening or closing. I have also lost both baskets (within the first three hikes). A bad start but since then they have been OK. I think that I'll switch to a pair of nice ski poles with a larger basket after these give up the ghost.

One has to be careful not to catch the tips between rocks. I have developed a reflex of moving my hand back and pull up at the first sign of a caught tip.

I remove the baskets for summer use--they tend to catch in the brush.

Doug