New Makalues breaking in me

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
First, Ive owned a pair of Lasportiva makalues in the past. I like them because my ankles are weak from years of hiking and the support is great, plus thier great 3 season boots. I guess I forgot how tough they are to break in. I went up the Osseo trail on Flume and to say I got blisters is like saying the Artic is chilly. Im open for any suggestions to survive the break in period. I am now armed with athletic tape and bandages but am open to any tips.
P.S.They fit right, I tried wearing them very tight to eliminate friction and heallift but that sure didnt help. At 270 bucks, I must overcome this breakin period, I tried lighter boots but my ankles "roll" and one of these days I wont catch them in time, as soloist that could be trouble.
Thanks for any tips.

First, Ive owned a pair of Lasportiva makalues in the past. I like them because my ankles are weak from years of hiking and the support is great, plus thier great 3 season boots. I guess I forgot how tough they are to break in. I went up the Osseo trail on Flume and to say I got blisters is like saying the Artic is chilly. Im open for any suggestions to survive the break in period. I am now armed with athletic tape and bandages but am open to any tips.
P.S.They fit right, I tried wearing them very tight to eliminate friction and heallift but that sure didnt help. At 270 bucks, I must overcome this breakin period, I tried lighter boots but my ankles "roll" and one of these days I wont catch them in time, as soloist that could be trouble.
Thanks for any tips.

To keep your heel from lifting inside your boot, you could try the lacing technique I use: After tightening the laces that run over your foot, tie a double overhand knot below the ankle hinge. Finish as usual but lace the uppers more loosely and don't use the top set of hooks.

I have a "low volume" foot and a narrow heel. With many boots, I add padding to the tongue to fill the space. That helps with heel hold down.

(Of course, take a look at your sock system as well, but I'm sure you know that.)

I have a hard time finding boots that fit right out of the box. Scarpas are usually the closest for me, because they tend to run narrow.

(It seems to me that a lot of boots are built with an unnaturally high instep, and an ankle angle that is on the plantar-flexed side of neutral. I've speculated that it's easier to get the boot off the last (hence, cheaper) to make them that way. Can any cobblers comment?)

Take the boots on walks. Wear them around like a pair of lightweight hiking boots and if the fit is right, you'll find that over time they'll break in fine.
I wore a brand new pair of heavy Limmers for a season of soccer coaching. Running around in them for a couple of months and no further hiking breaking in was necessary.

I've had maks. for quite a few years now and my feet have not been entirely broken into any of them !!!! I have learned a lacing technique that helps alot but i still have to use duct tape and padding in critical areas. I got a little brochure from "EMS" with different lacing techniques that really work (help alot). LACING ALTERNATIVES for HIKING and MOUNTAINEERING BOOTS. Stop in or check their web site i'll bet this will help you and anyone else.

New Balance also has a lacing guide. I have a surgeon's hitch halfway up all my footwear to keep the toebox loose, and I use a heel lock on my running shoes. I found this on EMS's site. ("I went on the Internet, and I found...this.")

I'll wear my new boots to work with the laces tied loosely and tighten them up as the boots fit better and better. Takes about two weeks. Also long walks and yard work on weekends help during this time. After they have been sweated up a few times and have gotten wet they are broken in enough for longer hikes. Take your time doing this, your feet are worth it.

Catch those hot spots early and put some tape over them before the become blisters. I often feel stopping to tape my feet slows me down or it can wait until I stop for a drink or rest.

I'm wrong! Stop when you feel a hot spot, don't wait.

Last edited: