New Plans, remote flat backpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
New Plans... My three night peak-packed backpack is now a one night remote flat hike. I've convinced my brother to join me, but he is recovering from a hamstring pull, so we will need to keep the hike flat.

I want to show him the beauty of the Whites, with a remote night in the middle of nowhere...

That said, can you offer some suggestions for a Sat-Sunday trip that is flat, under 6 miles, has decent views and some foliage. I love ponds, rivers and lakes. We wouldn't mind avoiding crowds...

Many Many thanks in advance!!!

Bryan

In from Zealand Road, past the beaver ponds, out onto the Ethan Pond Trail, glorious open views from the base of Whitewall, then over to Ethan Pond shelter/tentsites for the night. Back out the same route. Flat walk the whole way except the first 1/4 mile from the parking area is a bit rough as it detours around a wet area.
http://www.saletnik.org/gallery2/v/hiking/nh/zealand-thoreau-2005/CRW_4629_RJ.jpg.html

Other option is Flat Mountain Pond, in and out to the shelter from Jose's Bridge. That will feel a lot more remote, is 6-ish miles, flat old railroad grade walk.
http://www.saletnik.org/gallery2/v/hiking/nh/flat-mountain-pond/dcp_0052.jpg.html

Last edited:
Wild River

Hike in along the Wild River Trail or Highwater Trail. Are you looking at 6 mi/day or total?
-vegematic

How about lincoln woods to 13-Falls? There's barely any elevation gain and nothing approaching rugged. 8.16 miles at a slow-medium pace...

I just noticed the 6 mile limit... the 8 miles feels like 6, and there are lots of ponds and streams and some great views. It has a remote feel about it...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses...

While Zealand to Ethan Pond would be good, I've been there... I'm looking for something new. That said, 13-Falls could be on the list.

How about something a little more remote? Maybe up a little more north?

Again, ponds, rivers and lakes are top on the list of priorities!

Thanks Again,

BK

Plenty of flat trails around Duck Hole and heading out Towards the Sewards in the Adirondacks, if you are interested in heading in that direction. Amazing ponds and quiet trails, bring your fishing poles.:)

If you’ve not already done so, contact Steve Smith (Mountain Wanderer Bookstore, Lincoln, NH). He can give you suggestions about flat hikes that would meet your requirements.

Also, just as another possibility, you might want to consider a simple out & back hike on the Carrigain Notch Trail. It’s relatively flat hiking, and you could easily tailor-make it to fit your requirement of a 6-mile hike.

Last edited:
How about lincoln woods to 13-Falls? There's barely any elevation gain and nothing approaching rugged. 8.16 miles at a slow-medium pace...

I just noticed the 6 mile limit... the 8 miles feels like 6, and there are lots of ponds and streams and some great views. It has a remote feel about it...

Another vote for 13-Falls!